Arizona Chickens

I think I would take that argument higher. Seriously sounds like a gray zone in the regulation or something. I'm very sorry you're going through this.
I'm just across the highway in Mesa and a lot of my neighbors ( me included, of course,) have chickens. One of the neighbors even raises turkeys.
I'd love to raise turkeys but I think I'll wait until I move to my dream farm. Hubby will be ABD ( all but dissertation) next semester!
woot.gif

Welcome to BYC!
welcome-byc.gif

Quote:
Where do they find the "additional zoning rule" and which zone are you in?

The section of the Town of Gilbert Land Development Code is 2.103 of Land Use Regulations. My zoning district is SF-7 which means that most of the lots in my area are between 7,000 and 8,000 sq ft. The inspector explained that it doesn't matter what the square footage of your particular lot is, what matters to the planning commission is the zone you are assigned to. But, even though Animal Raising, Non-Commercial is technically allowed in zones SF-8 and above it still isn't feasible given that, "Aviaries shall be located at least 100 feet from any property line."

Quote:
The section of the Town of Gilbert Land Development Code is 2.103 of Land Use Regulations. My zoning district is SF-7 which means that most of the lots in my area are between 7,000 and 8,000 sq ft. The inspector explained that it doesn't matter what the square footage of your particular lot is, what matters to the planning commission is the zone you are assigned to. But, even though Animal Raising, Non-Commercial is technically allowed in zones SF-8 and above it still isn't feasible given that, "Aviaries shall be located at least 100 feet from any property line."

Tracy-Many of my neighbors also have chickens, but that doesn't offer any protection. As soon as they get a complaint that's the end of the chickens. Another neighbor on Neely St is also undergoing "chicken eviction" this week- wish I knew exactly who it was. It just seems to be an all too frequent occurrence and I suspect most people were like me and didn't know they were doing anything wrong. I was also under the impression that roosters were legal in Gilbert which they are- unless of course they crow- then they are not.

Congrats to your husband!

Last edited:
Quote:

Unfortunately, you are in the wrong zone. Here is the chart that explains it:
http://www.gilbertaz.gov/LDC/pdf/CompleteLDC.pdf Article 2.1: Single Family Residential Districts

Chickens are allowed in zone SF-8 and above. If you are in SF-7 your lot is too small to be allowed chickens.
hit.gif

Welcome to all the new people.
smile.png
I knew Gilbert had some dumb construction codes but some of this regulation stuff that is written is beyond ridiculous. ( where is the Happy Gilmore smiley with the thumbs down while spitting face?)

Last year, the coop tour provided booties and hand sanitizer, and volunteers who helped t make sure that people put on their booties and used the sanitizer. There is some risk, of course, but they do try to maintain biosecurity.

Quote:
lol I suspect there are far more stalkers than there are posters

My wife was so tired of me stalking on here that she finally just created a log-in for me. Now I'm on here even more, ha ha that one backfired.

Welcome Curt! - I'm sure it was my post in your noob thread that got you here, right? Awesome coop! love all the windows!

Welcome Blessed!

And welcome Chickin! I find an appropriate quantity of an appropriate rapidly expanding compound in an appropriate place solves the cranial rectosis problem. Sorry for your issues.

OK - I blatantly stole Gallo's plans for his award winning treadle feeder. I mean ripped them right off his web page!
(Thanks Gallo!)

For my version (cause I can't leave well enough alone) I'm'a gonna:

- Enlarge it a tad so it'll hold a 50 lb bag of feed.
- Widen it a tad so I can lag it into 2 studs.
- Trim off the angled bottom because it'll be easier to weld and it will not need to stand (see above point)
- And weld it up out of aluminum so I can hose it down.

I have some nice flat stock for the structure and I was thinking polished aluminum diamond plate for the treadle, top and cover.
(It should go well with my Cornish's purple butt!
thumbsup.gif

I've got the pieces for the housing sheared up. I'm planning on band-sawing out the funny shapes tomorrow.
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom