Arizona Chickens

Hey Mikey,

I am so sorry to read about Blinky and Peanut. I know how it feels to do everything you can for the peepers and then have to make the toughest decision. You have been a great Papa to your peepers.
hugs.gif

Update on my Murphy (my dog) who has an issue with his eye. Took him to the vet and he has a large ulcer on his eye. He is on 2 different oral meds and eye drops. He goes back to the vet on Sat. Hopefully his eye will have improved. Otherwise he may need surgery to fix it or the last option is if it doesn't heal from surgery, he will lose his eye!

This has not been a good start to 2012 so far.

Thanks Chris. I agree with the start of the year - and what's with the eye things...?

Well I ordered 172 chicks today. No I am not a chicken hoarder. They are four my 4H group. They wont be here until june 1st because they are so backed up. I can add one time so I am sure I will still have some other kids ordering. I didnt realize how many we had ordered until the said the total was $438. I about had a seizure. we got some good discounts because we ordered alot of a few breeds and then Cackle hatchery give 10% off for 4H groups or FFA.

mama chris- I hope your dog gets better..you have really had one heck of a year.

Well I ordered 172 chicks today. No I am not a chicken hoarder. They are four my 4H group. They wont be here until june 1st because they are so backed up. I can add one time so I am sure I will still have some other kids ordering. I didnt realize how many we had ordered until the said the total was $438. I about had a seizure. we got some good discounts because we ordered alot of a few breeds and then Cackle hatchery give 10% off for 4H groups or FFA.

mama chris- I hope your dog gets better..you have really had one heck of a year.

Thanks, I surely have had a terrible start to 2012. I hope it gets better otherwise this year better fly by fast!

Tell me what I owe you and Pm your address and I will mail you a check since I wont be there til easter. I really appreciate you doing this for everyone. i would have offered by the credit card is already heavy from the Cackle order for 4Hers.

Yes and that's what I'm doing and it was cheaper than originally thought.

So three of my seven hens are broody! I know I said I wanted a broody, but THREE? I have eggs under two of them and my kids put two golf balls under the third (without me knowing). I feel so bad, she is sitting and protecting those golf balls so well! What are the chances my laying Wyandotte is still laying fertile eggs? She hasn't been with a rooster since the 7th. Anyone have fertile eggs they want hatched by a broody?

Kev-PM me your address as well and I'll send you a check, too. That way you won't have to eat the cost up front. Thank you!

I know this is a thread about chickens, but I hope to get the word out, for it is desperately needed. Free spay and neuter in AZ! I don't know about you all, but when I checked how much it cost to get a dog spayed, they wanted 400.00! EEP! Who could afford that?? So I became aware of this and wanted to share!
wee.gif
If you are not interested or have no need for this, let a friend know who might be.

Bring your dog and cat out on March 25 to get them sterilized at no cost to you.
Tolleson Veterans Park
8601 W. Van Buren Street
Tolleson, AZ 85353
Check in 7:00 a.m.

For more information on the program, or where we'll be next, please visit us at pets.maricopa.gov or call (602) 506-0101.

I used them to neuter my kitty a few years ago. They also offer free rabies and $25 micro chipping at time of service. If you go, make sure you are there about an hour early, it's cold in the morning so take a blanket and a chair to sit in. Make sure your animal is in a crate. Expect that your adult male cats will be spraying up a storm with all the other cats there. They only take a certain number of animals per day so if your not there before they open the doors, you're likely to be turned away.

http://www.maricopa.gov/Pets/Community/UnoPorUno.aspx

WARNING FOLKS:

Time to go check your babies for mites and lice.

I got stung by a scorpion last night, so I was dusting the house, yard, and coops. I picked up a silkie baby (from the NYD hatch) to double-check her, and SURE ENOUGH she had eggs on her.

Everyone is getting dusted again tonight---but it seems like the bugs are a bit early this year..

WARNING FOLKS:
Time to go check your babies for mites and lice.
I got stung by a scorpion last night, so I was dusting the house, yard, and coops. I picked up a silkie baby (from the NYD hatch) to double-check her, and SURE ENOUGH she had eggs on her.
Everyone is getting dusted again tonight---but it seems like the bugs are a bit early this year..

Where can you buy DE? I know this has been discussed many times before. But since it's that time of year, and many of us are new to chicken raising, you might post where and about how much it is. Do you put the DE on the floor of the coop, nesting boxes and run? as well as any spots they may nap during the day when they are free ranging?

Thanks,
Selina

Where can you buy DE?  I know this has been discussed many times before.  But since it's that time of year, and many of us are new to chicken raising, you might post where and about how much it is.  Do you put the DE on the floor of the coop, nesting boxes and run?  as well as any spots they may nap during the day when they are free ranging?

Thanks,
Selina

I buy the big 50# bags at Western Ranchman. I think they were ~$30 a bag, last time I looked.

I use DE as a preventative, but I have started using the harsher stuff when I see the infestation actually happening. Sevin dust for the environment, Poultry Dust for the birds themselves.

Usually I will get a rubbermaid container and mix:

1 bag play sand
1 gallon scoop DE
1 can poultry dust

At night (preferably), take mix outside, grab birds, dunk in bucket, and scrub sand into and under their feathers. Gently, of course. Expect flapping--wear a bandana or something.

Then I leave the tub in the run (under cover to prevent it from getting wet) for the birds to bathe in.

LSO:

Folks--I currently have a glut of eggs---if anyone needs eggs to fill their egg orders, let me know. I am not really interested in seeking out new customers of my own right now. I'm lazy like that. I think I currently have 12 dozen eggs available.

Back
Top Bottom