Arkansas folks speak up.........

I don't need any more either. I'm just addicted to fluffy cuteness.
love.gif

Had a heck of a time finding a way to upload my pic. Here is mama and 3 babies. I have seen 6 so far. They are all very active and in and mostly (due to the warm day) out from under mom. Tomorrow we will bug her a bit and see about cleaning out the nest box and do a beak count.

Had a heck of a time finding a way to upload my pic. Here is mama and 3 babies. I have seen 6 so far. They are all very active and in and mostly (due to the warm day) out from under mom. Tomorrow we will bug her a bit and see about cleaning out the nest box and do a beak count.
What breed of chicken is this hen? I have a couple of juveniles (6-weeks old) that look like her. Isn't it so much better when mama does the work, lol. I can't wait until mine are old enough to lay. Hopefully, I will get at least one broody for chicks though. When I had game chickens all they wanted to do all summer was hatch out clutches. Two and three for each hen. Yikes, no eggs and way too many chicks!

What breed of chicken is this hen? I have a couple of juveniles (6-weeks old) that look like her. Isn't it so much better when mama does the work, lol. I can't wait until mine are old enough to lay. Hopefully, I will get at least one broody for chicks though. When I had game chickens all they wanted to do all summer was hatch out clutches. Two and three for each hen. Yikes, no eggs and way too many chicks!
She is a mix - Phoenix over Cochin bantam. She is a small girl but she covered 9 LF with no problem. Yep, I have been fighting the broody battle as well. I also don't need anymore but I have a cuteness addiction.
idunno.gif

Went to the auction yesterday. Picked up an Ameraucana rooster for 5bucks. Not a bad deal.

Only problem is it took less than a hour from the time I got him loaded him in the truck and the short drive home about 40 minutes altogether, he seemed like he had heat exhaustion and couldn't stand up. I got him in the run and tried soaking him in the water but his head kept falling in and was afraid he'd drown. Got him laid out and soaked the dirt around him goo trying to cool him down. Through all that he died within a hour of getting him home.

Lesson learned. No more buying from an auction when you don't know where he came from and how long he'd been without water. First time that had ever happened to me and I've hailed chickens in the heat before on trips that long and maybe a little longer and have not lost any.

Last edited:
Went to the auction yesterday. Picked up an Ameraucana rooster for 5bucks. Not a bad deal.

Only problem is it took less than a hour from the time I got him loaded him in the truck and the short drive home about 40 minutes altogether, he seemed like he had heat exhaustion and couldn't stand up. I got him in the run and tried soaking him in the water but his head kept falling in and was afraid he'd drown. Got him laid out and soaked the dirt around him goo trying to cool him down. Through all that he died within a hour of getting him home.

Lesson learned. No more buying from an auction when you don't know where he came from and how long he'd been without water. First time that had ever happened to me and I've hailed chickens in the heat before on trips that long and maybe a little longer and have not lost any.
Too bad. I am amazed at the conditions people bring their chickens in, esp. in this heat.

I've seen 6 little babies so far. When I get home from church I will clean out the nest and see if there are any more.

Too bad.  I am amazed at the conditions people bring their chickens in, esp. in this heat.  

I've seen 6 little babies so far.  When I get home from church I will clean out the nest and see if there are any more.

Great plan.

Yes I'll agree about the conditions people bring their animals in. The worst I've though to me is the overcrowding they do. A pen that would three comfortably they stick in 10. Me I don't like buying cages that have over 3 or 4 in there.

I agree. You can tell how the birds were treated at home by how they are caged.

6 babies. One early quitter and one died during hatch. I would have done an egg topsy but it was too stinky.

I'm pleased. I'd post a picture but BYC and my phone don't like each other.

Back
Top Bottom