Arkansas folks speak up.........

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by wranglerFB, Mar 9, 2008.

1. arllcountrygirl

arllcountrygirl lavender nutt

We have eggs and chicks for sale for those looking for some here in AR.

2. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Been busy here. Had a great time at the meetup. My boy got some nice chicks. (d'Uccle') They are doing great, getting big. Planted the garden and ready for the seeds to come up.[​IMG] My first crele eggs are in the bator, got about 10. Should hatch aound the 8th of April. [​IMG]: [​IMG]

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Moved my youngest chicks (hatched March 19th) outside today. They will live in the doghouse brooder for a bit, so they aren't exactly on the grass yet --- mainly because my tractor pen is already in-use!! lol
    I have three groups of chicks outside now, plus a flock of 10 adults. The chicks don't take up much room though, the neighbors never really know about chicks until they start free ranging with the adults.

46 chickens total, but at least 18 of them are for sale or eating, and more will go later as I select the best of my BCMs once they get their real feathers.

Oh, and it's not just the roosters that are affected by the springtime hormones!! Up until last week I was getting 6 eggs every day, in the nest boxes. This week production dropped to almost nil. Today I went on an egg hunt [​IMG] the Leghorns have decided that the medium sized doghouse in the yard is preferable to the small sized one in the coop, and they told at least one BO about it too, but I saw those 4 laid so at least I got to collect those eggs. I got a BO egg out of the yard along the back fence - no clue on it's age so I fed it to the dog. Those biddies are on lockdown in their coop until I get my eggs in the proper places!!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  4. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Julie, I guess with the nits on the feathers it might not be a good idea, but with the other once you've treated him, ought to be ok.,,If you already used the sevin dust, I don't think the adams would be necessary.

I Moved the 6 weekers to the playhouse pen and the 5 weekers to the wire pen with a light. The weekold buckeyes were outstripping the banties so I moved them out into the brood trailer and separated them into two different brooders.

My longcrowers are starting to crow. So far their crows are a little long. I hope they get longer as they mature or I'm going to be disappointed. They are not much to look at. My Buckeyes are laying well, nice light brown eggs, just begging to be hatched.

I have bob whites and turkeys (bourbon reds and royal palms) in the incubator. My Japanese are laying ok, but I am having a real fertility issue with them.

I am really looking forward to the El Dorado show. I won't be exhibiting, but I will be there.

5. urban dreamer

urban dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Sherwood, AR
    Is the Beebe Flea Market held every Saturday? If so, I want to take Zach and mabey get another bird. What should I look for (as far as health) in the birds they have? I wanna make sure I get a healthy chicken if I do get one but I have heard some not-so-good things about flea market birds. Im am gonna look for a younger bird since I can't tell the age of adults. I don't wanna get sold a three year old that I thought was 1.

6. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Urban, look for bright red combs (if they are old enough) and make sure you don't see sneezing or any discharge. I'm not an expert, but that's what I would look for. If they will let you handle the birds, look under the tails for mites or lice. I learned the hard way this week that birds that are shiny and look perfect can have lice on them. Be sure when you get her home to keep her separate from the others for a couple weeks just to be sure. Hope this helps.

7. urban dreamer

urban dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Sherwood, AR
    Quote:Thanks, quarentine is the only reason I haven't tore down my little coop and I keep as far as I can from the big coop. "Far away" still isn't far enough for queen "B" Zoii though. I know she's gonna raise heck when I bring a new bird home. [​IMG] And this time, its gonna be Zach's birdy (which also means, I don't have to do all the coop cleaning [​IMG] )

8. littledel

littledel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Russellville, Arkansas
    Russellville here. anyone have any info on a poultry auction that takes place on weekends up in NW arkansas. Would like to know where this takes place and such. GO HOGS

9. littledel

littledel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Russellville, Arkansas
    Quote:check to make sure the chickens legs are clean, check around the vent area for lice or other little pests, and make sure the bird have clean, bright eyes not hazed over or droopy. Have bought several birds from Beebe over the years, and some were nice and other pretty sickly. So buyer beware and be careful.

10. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Quote:The only one I am aware of is in Westville, on 62 just across the Oklahoma border. I don't know when or exactly where. That is a pretty good drive from Huntsville.

You might call your county extension agent, in the phone book under county government, and ask. I'd expect them to be able to help you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by