Arkansas folks speak up.........

Well now its getting into the fun time of year.We will be breaking up brood pens by the end of May.And shutting down the incubators after that.Then all you can do is wait and watch all of the chicks grow.Seems like they change every day at this stage.It wont be long though and you can start to see some stand out's,then all the work begins.Sorting and deciding who makes the final cut and who dont is always the toughest part for me,because you want all of them to make it.When in the end we will only keep a very small percentage to show this fall.When the fall shows get here and you can take something that you can be proud of it makes all the work in the long hot summer worth while.

I haven't gotten to show much this year. It's a busy time at Wal-Mart and with all the job cuts, I don't wanna take a chance on returning to a job I no longer have.

So...I pretty much only go to very local shows, or shows that I know are "big". Shawnee and Tulsa State Fair are the two I've gone to lately. I didn't even get to go to Shawnee this last year.
sad.png
I'm hoping to make some more shows this year though. Didn't know about the Pine Bluff one.

I was at Shawnee last year,it was alot of fun.I am looking to make maybe three or four more this year with Fayetteville and Shawnee being on top of my list.I have heard alot of good things about the Missouri shows so I may try to make one up there.The Pine Bluff show was a nice little show.It was geared alot toward novices,which was good for a change.Thats the reason I wanted to make it,since it was my first show to actually compete in,it was good to have several others there that were novice also.But now all I can do is watch em grow and wait on fall.

Quote:
If you mean like the Ohio National; Oklahoma State Poultry Federation etc, we have the Heart of the Ozarks at Fayetville and the SE Arkansas Poultry Club at Eldorado. The others are a meetup group and yahoo groups. None acting as full functioning poultry clubs. All are fun and have lots of wonderful folks.

I should be able to post photos of Buff Orpingtons later today.

WE HAVE PIPS!

And I hear chicks.

These are Superior Farms hatching eggs that Danny Padgett brought me April 3. They are due to hatch tommorrow.

just put 3 eggs under my 1st broody of the year, I think she has 3-4 under her right now, we will see. GOing to put another dozen in the bator after the thunder boomers tomorrow afternoon, before going to the Craws for a Casue at the Travs stadium... YUMMMY!!!

I hope that old wives tale about thunder is just that, cause I got a whole incubator full of turkey, quail, and chicken eggs. And its running right now on a generator because the electricity went out.

Quote:
Well I didn't take any chances, I left mine out the bator until after the thunder-boomers this afternoon and I will then start incubation.

Back
Top Bottom