Arkansas folks speak up.........

Yes, we are. Must have at least 1/2 acre and we have just that! It's been fun.

Thats awesome!!! I lived there a long time but never knewyou could own chickens over there... is there a limit? I currently have 9 chickens all together but we just started our flock back in june. These are my under the back porch game chickens...

Nope! No limit. I can't remember if roosters are allowed though. We have 9 hens (6 Golden Sex Links, 1 Salmon Faverolle, 1 Barred Rock, and 1 Easter Egger) and an 8 week old French Black Copper Maran that I'm hoping is a girl!

So I free ranged my older chickens for the first time yesterday!!!! In my halfway fenced in town small back yard 1/4 to 1/2 acre maybe, Not for very long. I let them out about 30 mins before dusk and watched them closely and "hearded them" with my 11yr old daughter Brooklyn where about we wanted them to stay... away from the neighbors yards full of cats and dogs. It wasnt as bad or as hard as we thought getting them back in their coop/run. Im was excited about this because these are all game chickens who even tho we spend lots of time around and have been here for months didnt live here as babies and dont care for people much... actually they would prolly prefer we leave them alone completely except to drp off food and water from time to time lol anyway, I know they wont stay close by on their own so they wont be getting much "free run range time" but even being able to let them out for 30 mins a day will make me happy, when my young ones (who we started free ranging a few weeks ago) are very well behaved they stay close to their tractor for the most part and the back yard seems more than plenty of run around space for them and they now get let out quite often (with supervision of course). Yep we are learning more and more and chicken tv is pretty awesome lol im glad out of my four daughters (all who like having chickens) Brook has taken a real interest and loves to help do chicken chores and just sit back and watch with me, it is now somthing we bond over :)

Going to set tomorrow for a Fall hatch. Always have had fairly good hatch rates and livibity rates in the fall. Not sure yet how many eggs I'm setting yet.

Ok guys I posted in the emergency section yesterday with no response. I need help. I have buff that I found yesterday looking like this. I took.her in, soaked her and had to remove two eggs. So now her vent is prolapsed and on top of that I discovered tonight that there were maggots in some of the tissue. I'm a nurse and it takes a lot to gross me out. This was almost my limit. So tonight I soaked her again. Trimmed some feathers, dried her, removed as much of the nacrotic tissue and maggots as I could. I'm pretty sure I got most of them. I cleaned her with alcohol and put a good amount of triple antibiotic on her. Now she is back in the dog crate. She ate and drank today and pooped!! But I noticed tbe tios of her c

Comb being dark tonight. I hate to have to cull her. But I'm not sure what to do next. I am keeping her crate covered to slow egg production as well. This is how she looked when I found her.

Back
Top Bottom