Arkansas folks speak up.........

I still don't have a final count but for sure there are 3!

I am a bit perplexed: I set 8 eggs and when I candled on day 18 ( and got the surprise pip egg) I thought I had 4 goods and 4 quitters. I shoved them all back under the girls because I was in shock. I went down tonight to pull the bad eggs and only came out with 2 eggs. SOOOO? Either my candling was off and there are more chicks under there than I thought or
sickbyc.gif
they busted a couple of the quitters and are sitting in
sickbyc.gif
. I pulled a couple large pieces of shell out but not the equivalent of 4-6 eggs.
hu.gif

Guess I will know when they get moving. Can't wait to see them up and out

Searcy here, no chickens yet - have to get a coop built first.... Building it myself (I guess) can't find one in my price range.... Collecting wood pallets... Just move here last fall and still getting to know the area...

Searcy here, no chickens yet - have to get a coop built first.... Building it myself (I guess) can't find one in my price range.... Collecting wood pallets... Just move here last fall and still getting to know the area...

Welcome to BYC and the Atkansas thread.
Any special breed or breeds you looking for?

I've got plenty of baby chicks, a few purebred and a lot of mixed.

I guess I am back! We have been dealing with family issues, relocation (twice) and more. Last fall we signed a contract on a small farm in Drew County. Relocated all livestock then, but took possession of the home in late February. Have been without good internet for a while, but we now have DishNet! Will try to check in more often to BYC and the Arkansas thread.

Here are a few photos of our new place. Not everything is ours: (boat, junk etc). There are two sheds, a shop with 3 lean-to sheds, an apartment and large garden spot. Lots of trees, including, 10 pecan, 2 black walnut, 3 fig trees and several peach, plum and apple trees. We have already cut several hardwood trees down to give more room for nut and fruit trees. Eventually there will be nothing but fruit and nut trees. We are relocating all "portable" coops to the orchard area and building runs to them. this should give us more room for the breeders we are hatching this year.

The front yard satellite dish has been removed and we installed a 15' tall purple martin birdhouse inside the existing pole. My wife has added lots and lots of flowers to the front yard. Will try and post updated photos as we improve the farm.

I guess I am back! We have been dealing with family issues, relocation (twice) and more. Last fall we signed a contract on a small farm in Drew County. Relocated all livestock then, but took possession of the home in late February. Have been without good internet for a while, but we now have DishNet! Will try to check in more often to BYC and the Arkansas thread. Here are a few photos of our new place. Not everything is ours: (boat, junk etc). There are two sheds, a shop with 3 lean-to sheds, an apartment and large garden spot. Lots of trees, including, 10 pecan, 2 black walnut, 3 fig trees and several peach, plum and apple trees. We have already cut several hardwood trees down to give more room for nut and fruit trees. Eventually there will be nothing but fruit and nut trees. We are relocating all "portable" coops to the orchard area and building runs to them. this should give us more room for the breeders we are hatching this year. The front yard satellite dish has been removed and we installed a 15' tall purple martin birdhouse inside the existing pole. My wife has added lots and lots of flowers to the front yard. Will try and post updated photos as we improve the farm.
Welcome e back, Jim.

Last edited:
Thanks caj.

I think they will probably head under the shelf after they get down. It's deep litter as it was my silkies favorite bed down spot.

Are you currently poultry free?

Yep. Don't have a clue what to do with myself on pretty afternoons. I keep trying to head out to feed/water/watch chick TV.

I still don't have a final count but for sure there are 3!

I am a bit perplexed: I set 8 eggs and when I candled on day 18 ( and got the surprise pip egg) I thought I had 4 goods and 4 quitters. I shoved them all back under the girls because I was in shock. I went down tonight to pull the bad eggs and only came out with 2 eggs. SOOOO? Either my candling was off and there are more chicks under there than I thought or
sickbyc.gif
they busted a couple of the quitters and are sitting in
sickbyc.gif
. I pulled a couple large pieces of shell out but not the equivalent of 4-6 eggs.
hu.gif

Guess I will know when they get moving. Can't wait to see them up and out

A lot of times the broodies will either "throw out" the bad eggs or each the shells from hatched chicks.

Yep. Don't have a clue what to do with myself on pretty afternoons. I keep trying to head out to feed/water/watch chick TV.

A lot of times the broodies will either "throw out" the bad eggs or each the shells from hatched chicks.

you can always come visit mine. Hopefully there is no rule against that!

It turns out that I really need a better flash light. I ended up with 6/8 chicks. The girls are doing well so far. Taught them to eat drink what I had in the nest box yesterday and today encouraged them out and to the ground. now they are tucked into a different nest and no peeps at all. Comfy cozy and warm. I am more concerned now about how my Sr. girls will treat the babies. Only time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom