Arkansas folks speak up.........

Went to the auction yesterday. Picked up an Ameraucana rooster for 5bucks. Not a bad deal.

Only problem is it took less than a hour from the time I got him loaded him in the truck and the short drive home about 40 minutes altogether, he seemed like he had heat exhaustion and couldn't stand up. I got him in the run and tried soaking him in the water but his head kept falling in and was afraid he'd drown. Got him laid out and soaked the dirt around him goo trying to cool him down. Through all that he died within a hour of getting him home.

Lesson learned. No more buying from an auction when you don't know where he came from and how long he'd been without water. First time that had ever happened to me and I've hailed chickens in the heat before on trips that long and maybe a little longer and have not lost any.

Ameraucanas have a harder time in heat than other breeds. The small pea combs are not great for cooling down body temp. Temps over 100 and hours with no water, and sun exposure can be deadly. The humidity has been awful the last couple of weeks making it seem even hotter and alot of panting going on with my chickens. I try to avoid auctions if I know temps will be very high, for my comfort and theirs. I try to attach a water cup to their cages also, but with all the handling that goes on behind the scenes it usually gets turned over, so I would go back there and refill it if I can get to them. If that poor bird was left in the sun with no shade then I can see it happen. I've seen it happen to a perfectly healthy male I gave to my brother in law. We put the bird under a tree in the shade when we brought him over. Spent a few hours fishing ponds and when we left and drove back by him (brother in law wasnt' home) the sun had moved and he was exposed and lying on his side in the cage. We grabbed him and brought him to the barn in the shade, refilled his water and made him drink and he recovered a while later. Sun exposure heat, and lack of water will put them down quick.

Ameraucanas have a harder time in heat than other breeds.  The small pea combs are not great for cooling down body temp.  Temps over 100 and hours with no water, and sun exposure can be deadly.  The humidity has been awful the last couple of weeks making it seem even hotter and alot of panting going on with my chickens.  I try to avoid auctions if I know temps will be very high, for my comfort and theirs.  I try to attach a water cup to their cages also, but with all the handling that goes on behind the scenes it usually gets turned over, so I would go back there and refill it if I can get to them.  If that poor bird was left in the sun with no shade then I can see it happen.  I've seen it happen to a perfectly healthy male I gave to my brother in law.  We put the bird under a tree in the shade when we brought him over.  Spent a few hours fishing ponds and when we left and drove back by him (brother in law wasnt' home) the sun had moved and he was exposed and lying on his side in the cage.  We grabbed him and brought him to the barn in the shade, refilled his water and made him drink and he recovered a while later.  Sun exposure heat, and lack of water will put them down quick.

There was no more than an hour to the Suns exposure. Loading and the short drive home. I'd had heard that Am's have a harder time though.

He was a very beautiful Wheaten. Hated loosing him but did have much invested in him. I think too he was a little older bird, his Spurs were at least an inch and a half long.

There was no more than an hour to the Suns exposure. Loading and the short drive home. I'd had heard that Am's have a harder time though.

He was a very beautiful Wheaten. Hated loosing him but did have much invested in him. I think too he was a little older bird, his Spurs were at least an inch and a half long.

yea, there is no telling how long he had been in the cage without water though. May have even been in there from the day before.

Well, if you are ever in the NW area, I have some young wheatens/blue wheaten males growing out now.

@MrsBachbach

I kept the most GORGEOUS blue wheaten cockerel that I hatched from your eggs. It's a bummer I haven't been able to upload any photos on mobile for a long time or I'd show you how they've grown. I really need to get another batch from you soon!

She finally arrived this morning around 1:30.

Back
Top Bottom