Arkansas folks speak up.........

We have not had rats, but it has been a bad year for mice. We have been fighting them in the coop, our shop and our house. On an interesting note, my husband and I have also noted a shortage of snake sightings this year so I am wondering if that has anything to do with it.

We've had huge pack rats for a long time. I kept putting out mouse poison but it only killed the mice. They are outside and inside we've found nests inside a dresser drawer, a hole in the wall of a closet that looks like a nest. I finally got some poison the feedstore recommended and now we have dead rat smell. Bad, but better that seeing them running around your house or hearing them in the walls. My son almost drove over a nest of rats with the lawnmower. He stopped when he saw a bunch of rats running. He looked and saw a bunch of little hairless rats the size of full grown mice. Of course the chickens saw them too and that was that for the rats. Of course all the grown ones ran away. I've tried traps but after you catch on or two the others wise up and quit getting in them. I put the poison in the closet where I saw their nest and a pile of rat poop, behind the refrigerator, stove, couch and by the sacks of chicken feed. They must have been using that route in the closet for months according to all the poop pellets.

We've had huge pack rats for a long time. I kept putting out mouse poison but it only killed the mice. They are outside and inside we've found nests inside a dresser drawer, a hole in the wall of a closet that looks like a nest. I finally got some poison the feedstore recommended and now we have dead rat smell. Bad, but better that seeing them running around your house or hearing them in the walls. My son almost drove over a nest of rats with the lawnmower. He stopped when he saw a bunch of rats running. He looked and saw a bunch of little hairless rats the size of full grown mice. Of course the chickens saw them too and that was that for the rats. Of course all the grown ones ran away. I've tried traps but after you catch on or two the others wise up and quit getting in them. I put the poison in the closet where I saw their nest and a pile of rat poop, behind the refrigerator, stove, couch and by the sacks of chicken feed. They must have been using that route in the closet for months according to all the poop pellets.
My bad, didnt used to have to quote to reply. We feed feral cats in and outside our chicken yard. We NEVER see rodents. The cats leave the chickens alone because they are well fed, one even hangs with the flock and sleeps in the coop with them in the winter.

Last edited:
Quote:
I have a couple of outside cats that will catch mice, but I lock my coop up at night and they can't get in there. That's when the mice run around. I tried the live catch mice traps and bait them with the mouse poison and I would catch one or two every night with that until they, as someone said, wised up. I hate putting the poison out because of the cats. I would hate myself if my cat caught a mouse that had ingested the poison. I thought the live trap was perfect. The mice would eat the poison yet couldn't escape, so I could dispose of them later. Only saw a rat once, with a couple of babies hanging on her back. I had found where a rat made a nest out of the hood insulation on my car and built a dang nest under the hood! We set a rat trap under the hood and caught the rat. They are hard to control when you have chickens. Keeping a few cats is likely the best option. I even have a couple of house cats and they surprisingly have caught two in the house. I don't know how they do it, but they hear very very well. If you see your cat staring at a wall or at "nothing", it is definitely "hearing" something.

Fayetteville, Arkansas checking into the thread here. I just moved here a couple months ago, and am so looking forward to getting my first flock. If anyone is in the area I would love to get in touch with fellow chicken lovers. Other than Tractor supply and online hatcheries I have no idea where I should be looking for quality chicks. My husband and I just bought a house that has a chicken coop already on it (at least, it will be a chicken coop after I'm done with it lol) so I'm looking to add some chickies to it, hopefully in the Spring.

Fayetteville, Arkansas checking into the thread here. I just moved here a couple months ago, and am so looking forward to getting my first flock. If anyone is in the area I would love to get in touch with fellow chicken lovers. Other than Tractor supply and online hatcheries I have no idea where I should be looking for quality chicks. My husband and I just bought a house that has a chicken coop already on it (at least, it will be a chicken coop after I'm done with it lol) so I'm looking to add some chickies to it, hopefully in the Spring.
Welcome! You lurk around here long enough you will find some folks selling. Also, there are some facebook groups that can get you some chickens. It doesn't matter where you go, buyer be ware. Unfortunatly not everyone knows, or tells you what they are selling you sometimes.

Lots of good folks out there too.

@MrsBachBach on here is up your way I think and I have heard good things about her birds.

Do lots of research, learn things, ask questions. Lots of experience here that will give their opinions. You just have to find what works best for you.

Welcome again and good luck!

Hello and welcome to BYC and the Arkansas thread inparticliuar.

If you don't want chicks check craigslist. I just saw where someone is moving and have 3 dozen free chickens that need a new home.
Thanks for the tip! If I didn't spend so much time with my chickens I'd go for it. These ones most likely are flighty though, and I would want a more close knit relationship. I raised my last flock from eggs, and my dutch banty would even fly on my shoulder while I mucked stalls. I'm hoping to have that kind of relationship with my flock again.

I am close to Fayetteville. I usually have a couple of hatches in the spring and sell chicks then. So keep me in mind. I believe there are others on this forum from NW AR too. And Welcome to Arkansas!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom