Arkansas folks speak up.........

Well got a call from animal control about my guineas getting on the road. We have 10 acres but for some reason they love to cross the road and go to the neighbors. They said they don't care but who knows. Officer was like you have to keep them on your property. Any suggestions?
Short of keeping them enclosed, they are going to wander. Ours like the road too :(

I am looking to re-home three guinea hens, one year old, they are a pearl grey and two pieds. I have too many males and can't stand the fighting any more. Royal Arkansas.

I have two broodies sitting on a nest. I noticed a little fuzzy butt hopping around this a.m. and I'm hoping for more. One hen started sitting about a week before the other so I don't how they are going to settle who's is who's chicks. Maybe they will co-parent. I used to have a pair of game hens that always sat on the nest together and they hatched out two or three clutches every summer. The chicks would run between them back and forth and after about a month or so they they would do it all over again. I should be so lucky again!

Look what I found today. Five little babies running between Mamas and one still in the nest resting from the tough job of hatching out.
19511292_10208348988875747_7860298729510246245_n.jpg

Hello, Im just getting into this for me and my family. I live in Bella Vista but have a large family farm down in London where we want to start a family friendly free-range flock. Got little kiddos so any suggestions on breeds for temperament are welcome. Also, we just love to rescue all animals and I cover a pretty large area so let me know if you have a hen or roo you need to relocate? I was only a girl when we had chickens last so I'm new to this, but my family has raised chickens before. I'm really excited about this. I just love hens!

Hello, Im just getting into this for me and my family. I live in Bella Vista but have a large family farm down in London where we want to start a family friendly free-range flock. Got little kiddos so any suggestions on breeds for temperament are welcome. Also, we just love to rescue all animals and I cover a pretty large area so let me know if you have a hen or roo you need to relocate? I was only a girl when we had chickens last so I'm new to this, but my family has raised chickens before. I'm really excited about this. I just love hens!

Welcome Lunalala! I'm pretty new (first flock is almost a year old now) I'm in the Fayetteville area. Love everything about it. I have several varieties. My calmest birds so far are my Australorp & Marans.

Welcome Lunalala! I'm pretty new (first flock is almost a year old now) I'm in the Fayetteville area. Love everything about it. I have several varieties. My calmest birds so far are my Australorp & Marans.
Oh that's great! I was just thinking about picking up a 5 1/2 week old black maran chick tomorrow! That and a lavender orpeington, I read that they were calm and good broody hens.

Howdy Lunalala. My suggestion for making chickens safe for children is to not get them use to being handled. My roosters that were hand raised and petted turned into the meanest critters attacking everyone. I go chase my roosters around waving my arms so they stay a friendly distance away and on the upside all the pullets and hens will follow me around and will even squat for me if I reach down to pat one. Keep the boys on their guard with a healthy respect for humans. The only breeds of roosters I've had is Black Sex links and Game. My neighbors had a Rhode Island roo that spurred my son in the leg. Roosters will protect their flock if they are good roosters. I had one black sex link that was a good rooster but he got everyone but me. After scratching my grandson across the face he ended up going to freezer camp. He was one of 12 boys we had and they all turned me. My neighbor gave me a black sex link and the game I have now. They were never handled and stay clear of me and the family. To be safe never let toddlers around them. I had warned my daughter about my rooster but she set the baby down by the rooster and he did what he did. I blame her as much as him but the daughters you are stuck with. You might consider just not having roosters. You could always put a few chicks under any broody hens you end up with or just keep a rooster in the spring for fertile eggs. If eggs are all you want then consider no rooster. The time between roosters one of my hens took over the position of authority and warning of potential dangers like stray dogs or hawks.

Howdy Lunalala. My suggestion for making chickens safe for children is to not get them use to being handled. My roosters that were hand raised and petted turned into the meanest critters attacking everyone. I go chase my roosters around waving my arms so they stay a friendly distance away and on the upside all the pullets and hens will follow me around and will even squat for me if I reach down to pat one. Keep the boys on their guard with a healthy respect for humans. The only breeds of roosters I've had is Black Sex links and Game. My neighbors had a Rhode Island roo that spurred my son in the leg. Roosters will protect their flock if they are good roosters. I had one black sex link that was a good rooster but he got everyone but me. After scratching my grandson across the face he ended up going to freezer camp. He was one of 12 boys we had and they all turned me. My neighbor gave me a black sex link and the game I have now. They were never handled and stay clear of me and the family. To be safe never let toddlers around them. I had warned my daughter about my rooster but she set the baby down by the rooster and he did what he did. I blame her as much as him but the daughters you are stuck with. You might consider just not having roosters. You could always put a few chicks under any broody hens you end up with or just keep a rooster in the spring for fertile eggs. If eggs are all you want then consider no rooster. The time between roosters one of my hens took over the position of authority and warning of potential dangers like stray dogs or hawks.
Wow! Thank you so much for your suggestions that is so very helpful I would have never thought of that, only using roos in the spring or that broody hens would warn or hawks. I know when I was growing up on farms there was always that one rooster you had to watch out for. Thank you for your advice! Seeing as how we will have many family members and their children around including babies I think it's a great idea.

Back
Top Bottom