Arkansas Meet-Ups, Swaps and Such

Sale went well in that I didn't bring home any roos. :) it was a buyers market today but I did well enough, I met my buyers and I think the birds went to good homes so to me it was a good day.

There were few "full breed" birds. A lot of yard birds, game birds and game bird mixes. The breed birds that sold took a decent price but one guy I sat by said the Saline market was a sellers market last month.

They charged 15% commission, plus a dollar a cage " yardage", 50 cent a bird blood test. Not sure how these charges compare as I have always just done private sales before.

They do not bleed chicks. Chicks can only be sold if you have NPIP and you must bring proof.

All in all a fun day and learning experience. Mostly glad to have found new homes for the boys.:)

Sale went well in that I didn't bring home any roos. :) it was a buyers market today but I did well enough, I met my buyers and I think the birds went to good homes so to me it was a good day.

There were few "full breed" birds. A lot of yard birds, game birds and game bird mixes. The breed birds that sold took a decent price but one guy I sat by said the Saline market was a sellers market last month.

They charged 15% commission, plus a dollar a cage " yardage", 50 cent a bird blood test. Not sure how these charges compare as I have always just done private sales before.

They do not bleed chicks. Chicks can only be sold if you have NPIP and you must bring proof.

All in all a fun day and learning experience. Mostly glad to have found new homes for the boys.:)

The sakes here in Saline County is:
.50 (cents) test. 20% commission but no yardage charge. $1.00 PO charge per head.
Iwod say all in all it would come out about the same.

Were there any laying hens in the sale? How much were they going for?

Yes, the last sell brought good prices. Hens brought $17.50 to $27.50 each. Roosters were down a bit $6.00 to $7.00 usual bring $8.00 to $10.00 depending on the size of the rooster.

Thanks for the update, I'll try to cat h the one next month.

Very few n the hens. Had a phoenix went for 7and a trio of RIR girls went for 25$.each Kind of weird. Couple Suissixe Corrination I think we're 17 and one other batch of 4 hens around 15, I forget the breed. That was it for girls only.

Very few n the hens. Had a phoenix went for 7and a trio of RIR girls went for 25$.each Kind of weird. Couple Suissixe Corrination I think we're 17 and one other batch of 4 hens around 15, I forget the breed. That was it for girls only.

We have a lot more here and I guess better prices which is better for the seller. That would be another option though if you have something that you really need to move.

Thanks for the update. I'm going to try very hard to make the next one for sure.

Do they allow you to move around the area and look the stock over before starting the auction?

We have a lot more here and I guess better prices which is better for the seller. That would be another option though if you have something that you really need to move.

Thanks for the update. I'm going to try very hard to make the next one for sure.

Do they allow you to move around the area and look the stock over before starting the auction?

Yes. You can get in with the cages and look at things. You could probably take them out if you asked. One of the guys bought a lot of the roos and he was checking for breast meat on everyone so if they let him, I am sure they would let other folks. They also took birds out of cages if people wanted to see them when they were up for auction. It was a lot of good 'ol boys so things weren't super strict/structured. Payout and getting birds after the sale was a bit slow but I had planned on blowing the entire day anyway.

It was my understanding that this was only their 3rd sale so they are still working out some kinks. There were people from 3 hours away, so the word is getting out. Can't remember if I said this, but there was one game cock that went for over $50. I am not into the game birds but he was a Pumpkin something and they guy I was speaking with was on the phone with another guy and was in on the bidding. He said it was a really rare breed. It was a pretty bird. There were a few there that looked like nice stock but a lot of yard birds. I imagine that is the norm for most auctions.

The auction planned for the 28th of this month at the Saline County Fairgrounds has been cancelled.

Next one schuduked is for the 28th of March.

Puddin Fluff:
You know if the London auction is still on for the 7th of March?

Last edited:
Thank you, I'm considering doing this and was wanting to know once you contact them how long it would be before they actually came out. And what it would be like when they did show up to test your birds, what would they look at.

Back
Top Bottom