Army Reserve thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father and sister joined the armed forces because of the benefits and help for college education. That was the motitavtion they needed and succeed in doing so. Most jobs are cutting that fat out of benefits and education perks, and cutting back on the 401K contribution. Also the job security.

Last edited:
A woman that I work with has a daughter that joined the National Guard. She is leaving in June for Iraq. They are going there to pave roads. She was told to plan for 12 - 15 months. She is a prison guard and once they found out she was leaving for boot camp they treated her kinda crappy. She has not told them yet about being gone for 12-15 months. But by law they can't get rid of her but they can make it harder. She has not been selected for a supervisor position becuase of her service in the National Guard.

Just be prepared to be deployed. It is going to happen. The woman's son is in the Marines. He has been to Iraq 3 times and Afganastan 3 times. He would be there now but he got selected to do testing on helecopter equipment for 5 years. He is now stationed somewhere in the desert of California. He loves it.

Darin

I was in the Army Reserves and it really helped me get a kick start on my career. Be sure to choose a MOS that will be beneficial to your civilian life.

That would be my advice as well. Do your best on the ASVAB so you have a wider range of schools/jobs available that might support your current or future (civilian) careers.

Have you thought of joining your states military reserves? Most never leave there state an are there to only protect that state so are never shipped off.

Just be aware tht the state reserve is the National Guard. They may call it the Connecticut National Guard, but the "National" is the Good Old USA. Half or more of the reservists in Afgnastan are National Guard Troops. The state reserves are really U.S. Army Reserve units, the U.S. equates to National in the National Guard. Actually the National Guard is more controled by the state Governors than are the reserves, and even that is with the approval of the Federal Gov. I don't mean to discourage you from joining the military. I was an Army Recruiter for 3 years 9 months, during the time the draft was discontinued. One of my pet peeves is "recruiters not telling prospects the truth". That has ruined a lot of good young mens lives. Even if they are not recruiters, when they don't tell the "truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth" they are setting you, the prospect, up to take the fall not themselves. Do as you wish, but do it with your eyes wide open. The benifits are awesome but the cost can be pretty steep also.
smile.png

Let's just get this straight... I'm not a wimp by any chance, it's not like I want to join Army Reserve to avoid shipping out... I don't care if I am shipped all I'm saying is I still want to do my real life job while I do this part time..

I requested to join infantry to my recruiter but he thinks I should join speical forces or jump school cause I am very fit and muscular compared to the small, skinny, fat kids he's seen trying to join the army.

I have spent 4 years in the USMC and 26 in the Army and Army Reserve. Please feel free to contact me with any queations you have. Please understand that every other reply you get is based on either experience or opinion and is worthy of consideration. I congratulate you and admire you for you convictins regardless of the outcome. I am in awe of you and other like you who would grow up in a wartime U.S., and would still consider joining the military. I have served three tours in Iraq and have a little (very little) experience on what you can expect.

As much as I respect the Infantry and our Infantry Soldiers (who deserve the utmost respect). You might have other options than the Infantry. The Infantry might bear the utmost of the fighting...there is more and other service to our country, and more fighting than the Infantry provide. My hat is off to our Infantry and to all my Brothers and Sisters who enlist to serve their country. God bless the Infantry and all those who support them.

Before you join or contact me....please know that I have zipped up body bags of National Guard Soldiers, Active Duty Soldiers, DOD Civilains, and Army Reserve Soldiers. When it came right down to the bottom line...there was no difference in their service or their sacrifice. Remember this...in spite of any other comments to the contary you might hear. There are always those who serve their country for patriotism and those who serve their country for the benefits. In the thick of it...they sit in the same fighting position and rely on eachother to survive their depolyment. Don't let the words of others sway your thoughts or your patriotism. Regardless of what others might say...once you have been shot at...others won't understand what it was like.

May God bless you, your family, your country and your decision,

Dave Casper
[email protected]

Let's just get this straight... I'm not a wimp by any chance, it's not like I want to join Army Reserve to avoid shipping out... I don't care if I am shipped all I'm saying is I still want to do my real life job while I do this part time..

I requested to join infantry to my recruiter but he thinks I should join speical forces or jump school cause I am very fit and muscular compared to the small, skinny, fat kids he's seen trying to join the army.

I did not imply that you were a wimp, if the above comment was aimd at my post/posts concerning joning the reserves. If you took it that way pleas accept my sincerest apology. My concern is exactly as I stated:

"One of my pet peeves is "recruiters not telling prospects the truth". That has ruined a lot of good young mens lives. Even if they are not recruiters, when they don't tell the "truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth" they are setting you, the prospect, up to take the fall not themselves. Do as you wish, but do it with your eyes wide open. The benifits are awesome but the cost can be pretty steep also."

DCasper Thank You for your 30 years of service.

Remember this...I am now 49, I have been in more countries than I can count. I have seen more and done more than most people could imaging. And now...I look for my family and chickens for peace and quiet. My brothers and sisters have paid a heavy price for the nights of peace that others have experienced. If I had it all to do all over again...I would. I have not paid as high a price as my wife and two son's have paid in my absence. This might sound like a rambling to you and others...but there are 30 years of experiences between you...them...and me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom