Arrggg!!!!!!!!update

Acre of Blessings

Canning/Sewing Addict
11 Years
Apr 3, 2008
Axton, VA
I went outside about 30 minutes ago, when hubby came home, and I looked and 3 of my meaties were outside their brooder. It has been cold and rainy all day and as soon as I noticed them I rushed down to get them inside. Unfortunately, I may have been to late. They were so cold and shivering, they were so wet that it looked like they hardly had any feathers.

I came inside to get an old towel or something and hubby tossed me a shirt and my daughters got me a shoe box. I went back outside and got in the brooder, which is big, and i wrapped the 2 that were really wet in the shirt and put them in the shoe box. I hung the heat lamp over them for warmth. I just hope I wasn't to late.

It makes me so mad when things like this happen, but then again that's part of life. Hope the 2 will be O.K. but 1 of them didn't look good at all. hope the heat and being wrapped up is enough.

Last edited:
those meaties can be tough! don't panic. also, you can always give them a warm 'bath'. these guys put out so much heat, they will probably warm up in no time!

God bless your flock!

I'll send you some positive toughts. Goodluck
fl.gif
:aww

I had a hen hatch out babies last year and some them fell out of the nest and was behind the nost box when I found them. One was so cold and not moving much. I took him in and put him in the incbator. I really didn't think he would make it but with in a couple of hours he was up running around. I took him back to mom and he did great. So don't give up hope.
Chris

I won't give up unless they die. I can't bring them in the house due to the really stinking stage so I left them in the box, wrapped in the shirt, under the lamp.

Do you all think this might help them? Or should I bring them in?

Last edited:
One of the really wet ones is the one in the post where I have them on the scale. He's the one that weighed 15+ ounces yesterday.
barnie.gif
barnie.gif
barnie.gif

They were shivering so bad and the smaller one couldn't even stand, it was like he was freezing. I feel so bad, I know these birds will be for food for our family, but right now I wanna cry.
hit.gif
That's how bad I feel right now. I could just
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
barnie.gif

It just started raining harder here. Good thing I got done when I did.

I
love.gif
all my chickens, whether they are for eggs or for eating, I still
love.gif
them.

Last edited:
I had a young chicken that did not get into the coop last night, I found it this morning shivering, peeping, and barely able to stand. I thought for sure he was toast. I put him in the coop and put a light on him, gave him fresh water and chick food. He wouldnt touch it- just sat there peeping, shivering, and teetering. I went out to check on him at about noon, expecting to find a dying or dead chicken, but he was fine! Eating and drinking and unruffled. So, I am sure they will be just fine as soon as they warm up.

Back
Top Bottom