Art School

Ahhh, so you is old hat. I am learn things from you.
She's my older sister :p So, yas, she is older than us XD
YAS Me much happy :3
I never saw that skateboard or the owl, those are really awesome, .....! Now, I need something snappy to call you on here, unless your okay with your real name, which I seriously doubt. Smally, perhaps?

Last edited:
She's my older sister :p So, yas, she is older than us XD

YUS Me much happy :3
I never saw that skateboard or the owl, those are really awesome! Now, I need something snappy to call you on here, unless your okay with your real name, which I seriously doubt. Smally, perhaps?
Frenchiest Fry.

I'll repost it so it is easier to access.
1528303941616.png

I'm assuming the black lines are undesirable?

This is a school so I need you to school me. Critique me hard. I want to get better and I already think I know what I want to fix, but you can help me by telling me what it is and how to fix it.
I'll repost it so it is easier to access.View attachment 1420255
I'm assuming the black lines are undesirable?

Here's my critique:

Overall, it's a nice picture, and the problems are simple ones. :3

1. You should be using more layers. (Trust me, it helps!)
You should have one for lineart, one for colour, one for the sketch, and one for the background, at the very least. (And name them, if you can!)
Most new digital artists think that they only have to use one or two layers, but most art apps let you have up to 100+ layers.
With layers, you can clip other layers to a main layer, which helps so much with shading and lighting; and also with colouring lineart.
And, if you mess up, you can usually just erased or delete the bad layer and try again on a new one.
Layers can be merged, duplicated, and separated colours can be changed if the hue, saturation, or light isn't right.

I separate each individual colour (and sometimes each line) to their own layers, and I cannot tell you how many times that has saved my art. XD

2. Expand the bucket tool.
I can see that you're using the bucket to fill large areas of colour, and that's great, but you've left a broken white edge between your lineart and your colour. That's caused by the lineart having small opaque pieces (which help make the lines look smooth). To fix it, you'd have to expand your bucket fill by one pixel, or colour in the patches manually.

3. Don't be afraid of shade.
You've got little bits of shade here and there, which is good to see (it looks like you've shifted hues too - which is also good), but you should try throwing bigger bits of shade in there; especially since it's a night picture.
Use small amounts of light to highlight the areas that are illuminated by the moon (check out rim lighting), and also any details you want to draw attention to (like eyes).

4. Look into the blur tool and the blur pen.
Blurring the background, even just a little, can give the effect of distance. It also allows the eyes to focus more on the main subjects (eg. the cats).
The blur can also be used to blend colours and make a gradient (like on the wings).

5. Use references. For the wings, the moon, the cats, everything.
The more references you have, the more you can look at them and see where you're going wrong, which colours look the best, what kind of shading looks best, and general anatomy.

6. And the the most important thing: Draw what you want. Don't force yourself to draw things you don't want to draw. If you don't enjoy drawing it, people won't enjoy looking at it.

At first, most of that will seem overwhelming or overkill, but that's the stuff that'll help most, IMO. :p

And don't worry about black lines; lots of art is done with a dark edge. :3
If you wanted to change anything, try making the lines thinner (and maybe try turning up the correction).

Try everything, see what stuff you like, watch tutorials and professional artists on YouTube (TsaoShin is a good one), try other art apps (MediBang and AutoDesk are both free and work really well), explore all the possibilities. \(^-^)/

And I think that's all I've got. XD

Back
Top Bottom