Arucana or Americana?

I would call it an Easter Egger to be safe. I don't think it's a standard color, however I am in the US and don't know if they have different breed standards in the UK (and I don't really know the US standard anyway either!). 'Easter eggers' are usually crossbreeds, or most often, the descendants of some of the stock used to create the Ameraucana and Araucana breeds. Easter Eggers do not adhere to or have any standards and therefore cannot be shown. However, with no set guidelines on how they need to look, they can look like pretty much anything and are a really great breed to add diversity.
Also please note that the spelling 'americana' is usually meant as a misspelling of 'ameraucana.' But since the 'americanas' sold by commercial hatcheries are often actually Easter Eggers, if someone calls their chicken 'americana' you can be pretty sure it's actually an Easter Egger.
Phew! Sorry for the long post...that was unneccesary..
:duc
(Edited for more details ... :))
It was probably my miss spelling of Americana. I meant Ameraucana.

CC, I have an EE who could be the twin of the one you showed, right down to the gray muff/beard. She's a quirky little gal, always getting into mischief. So far as I know, she has not yet laid an egg. She is 9 months old.
Mine is about 6 month old. I have another pure white one the same age
They always come up to me and if I kneel down they want to sit on my knee and go to sleep!

Does she lay eggs yet? What color are they?
Sorry late reply. Blue pastel blue eggs. IMG-20180116-WA0000.jpg

I would call it an Easter Egger to be safe. I don't think it's a standard color, however I am in the US and don't know if they have different breed standards in the UK (and I don't really know the US standard anyway either!). 'Easter eggers' are usually crossbreeds, or most often, the descendants of some of the stock used to create the Ameraucana and Araucana breeds. Easter Eggers do not adhere to or have any standards and therefore cannot be shown. However, with no set guidelines on how they need to look, they can look like pretty much anything and are a really great breed to add diversity.
Also please note that the spelling 'americana' is usually meant as a misspelling of 'ameraucana.' But since the 'americanas' sold by commercial hatcheries are often actually Easter Eggers, if someone calls their chicken 'americana' you can be pretty sure it's actually an Easter Egger.
Phew! Sorry for the long post...that was unneccesary..
:duc
(Edited for more details ... :))
Thank you! Great info!

Back
Top Bottom