Arucana or Americana?

It looks like you're in the UK, so your araucanas are different from ours here in the US. In the US, araucana is rumpless and tufted. An ameraucana has muffs, a beard, and comes in certain accepted colors. An americana, the way it's spelled in the thread title, is just another name for an easter egger. An easter egger is a mixed breed chicken that usually lays blue or green eggs. It can be a mix of those two breeds, or it might be a mix of another breed that lays blue/green eggs like a crested cream legbar, etc.

In the UK, araucanas are different. They have muffs, they may have tails or be rumpless, and they have crests.

I don't think ameraucanas have made it to the UK from the US.

So would you say this is an arucana?
DSC_0420.JPG DSC_0414.JPG
DSC_0421.JPG

I would call it an Easter Egger to be safe. I don't think it's a standard color, however I am in the US and don't know if they have different breed standards in the UK (and I don't really know the US standard anyway either!). 'Easter eggers' are usually crossbreeds, or most often, the descendants of some of the stock used to create the Ameraucana and Araucana breeds. Easter Eggers do not adhere to or have any standards and therefore cannot be shown. However, with no set guidelines on how they need to look, they can look like pretty much anything and are a really great breed to add diversity.
Also please note that the spelling 'americana' is usually meant as a misspelling of 'ameraucana.' But since the 'americanas' sold by commercial hatcheries are often actually Easter Eggers, if someone calls their chicken 'americana' you can be pretty sure it's actually an Easter Egger.
Phew! Sorry for the long post...that was unneccesary..
:duc
(Edited for more details ... :))

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom