Not an Olive Egger

blue_egg_lover

Songster
12 Years
Feb 9, 2011
I bred a Brahma to an Lavender Americana. I was thinking it would give me light green eggs but I've gotten blue or brown eggs. So would this mean they are Easter eggers and why aren't they laying any green? I'm still learning at this chicken stuff

If both parents are purebred, you should get green eggs, for sure. Your lavender chicken, instead of being a true Ameraucana and having two copies of the blue-egg gene, must have one copy of the blue and one copy of brown. I’m guessing that’s the rooster, otherwise you would know they’re not pure for blue, because they’d lay green eggs.

If both parents are purebred, you should get green eggs, for sure. Your lavender chicken, instead of being a true Ameraucana and having two copies of the blue-egg gene, must have one copy of the blue and one copy of brown. I’m guessing that’s the rooster, otherwise you would know they’re not pure for blue, because they’d lay green eggs.
Mainly correct but it would be more accurate to say the Ameraucana has 1 blue gene and 1 non-blue, there are several genes associated with brown eggs and they don't displace the blue gene. You can also get a pretty reliable indicator for the presence of the blue egg gene in easter eggers by the presence of a pea comb which is 'linked' to the blue egg gene (unless there's cream legbar in the mix which can provide blue eggs without the pea comb). Another cross-breeding sign to look for is non-blue legs, especially in the males.
I've found it nearly impossible to get that nice light green color in eggs though. Happened once with what I believe was a roo with 25% brown egg genes over a pure Araucana hen.
I do have an 1/4 isa brown; 3/4 Araucana bird that started out an olive egger and now lays blue eggs that are indistinguishable from pure breds as the Isa Brown tends to lose the brown pigmentation as it ages, unlike Hyline Brows which makes the Isa a much better candidate for EE breeding IMO.

One final note, OP should be either getting all brown/green or blue,white, green and brown. I suspect the 'blue' eggs do have some brown pigmentation but not enough to make a notable difference unless placed next a to a pure blue egg under bright lighting.

But they are blue egg layers bred to brown and should have made green, not blue
The blue eggs are likely very light green. If you compare the outside of the egg to the inside, there should be a slight difference caused by the brown coating on the outside of the shell.
When you mix a brown egg layer with a green egg layer they will make blue. Thats what I read in the article I showed you.
When you mix a brown egg layer with a green one, you could only get blue if you get the blue gene from the green Egger and a white gene from the brown one, assuming they carried the white gene…? I don’t know if that even possible. I think you would only get dark green or brown eggs from that cross.

Back
Top Bottom