As a parent would this make you mad or would you under stand it????? I am the bus driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
FTR, Dewey and I were talking about things from long ago that happened on the bus when we were kids. At least, I was and I think Dewey was, too. NONE of that would happen now-a-days. Just funny bus memories from long ago. :)
Yep!
big_smile.png

Kimisfishing, I really can't imagine being a school bus driver in this day and age, and like I said earlier, your concern and caring for the kids is commendable.
smile.png

I know, but you would not belive how mean some drivers really can be LOL and they were funny stories. When I first started driving busses, I used to let kids smoke as long as they did not leave evidence and I drove over a bunch of orange cones cause my kids asked me to LOL

I believe that a school bus should be as safe as school. (mind you my kids are grown) I don't think kids should be disruptive on a bus. I don't believe that the whole bus should be punished either, that doesn't do nothing but make the children who behave, think "why am I being good if I get in trouble". They do the same crap where I work. Instead of confronting the ones that aren't doing their job, they change crap so it puts more work on the peeps who are working. In my opinion, I would set up a meeting with the disruptive kids and the principle and their parents, explaining the importance of behaving on a bus, and if it didn't change then they would no longer be allowed to ride the bus. When my daughter was in school, a popular cheerleader was driving her car across a busy intersection of highway, and was struck and killed by a school bus. Now I don't know if it was due to her having disruptive kids in the bus or not, they were coming home from a game. There have been a few other accidents lately involving school buses. I also feel it is every parents obligation to make sure your children behave on the bus. For those that don't and think their kids do no wrong, SHAME ON YOU. You could be the parent that gets the call saying theirs been accident. I think you should have only made the naughty kids write the letter.
Just my 2 cents.

I know, but you would not belive how mean some drivers really can be LOL and they were funny stories. When I first started driving busses, I used to let kids smoke as long as they did not leave evidence and I drove over a bunch of orange cones cause my kids asked me to LOL

I find nothing funny about either of your statements. I find it EXTREMELY irresponsible. So if the kids said run that red light go faster you would. I was on your side until that statement. Now its
SHAME ON YOU.

Those things happened over 15 years ago, and no I did not do anything they told me but a few orange cones were not going to hurt them. And tecnicaly I am not suposed to give them candy, decorate the bus ( I have gotten in trouble for that), hug them, say I love you, and probably a few other things I do. I am who I am, not perfect but trying to be good to some kids.

I was trying to instill in the offenders that sometimes your actions effect more than just you.
So, if I understand correctly, you want to punish the innocent children in the hopes that the offenders would feel bad about the innocent children being punished? Seems pretty unfair to the innocent children. As a parent, I would not encourage my child to write such a letter, unless I knew or suspected they were one of the guilty parties. I wouldn't stop them, if they wanted to, but I wouldn't encourage it. Nor would I encourage them to police the other students on behalf of the bus driver. As a parent, I doubt I'd find the letter writing worth complaining about, to either you or your boss, but I'd think it was pretty silly, and probably ineffectual.

Kim, it seems that you want to be "friends" with these kids. When really your main concern should be keeping them ALL safe,...which means they HAVE to follow the bus safety rules.
Really, you seem more concerned with having them "like" you...than with their safety...
Just my opinion based on what you have written here..

The letter was not intended for the parents to force the kids to do it, it was to inform them of what had happend, that I had asked the kids to do it and that I had been working with them for weeks.
I do not force the kids to police others, some of them just want to help so we have a safe ride. It is over with and everyone is safe so I am happy. By the way the sub driver wrote the kids a note back saying thank you and that she is looking forward to driving for them again, She knows they are usually not so roudy and they really loved that. I am sorry but not all in life is fair and sometimes you have to do what you think is best at the time. I really think some of you missed the point of this and I am sorry if I have offended any of you. I guess you would have to be a bus driver to understand that some times you have to try different things. The last 2 times they acted like this for a sub I did punish just the offenders and it did not fix it so I thought I would try something else.
As a parent anyone has a choice to drive their kids to school if the driver does not handle things to their liking. I have never had a parent chose this so I guess I am not as harsh as you seem to think I am.
Next time I will find a bus driver forum to post this stuff because this is an issue for more drivers than me, mine are mild compared to some.
By the way, as the bus driver I can punish the kids in the way I see fit as long as it is not abusive. A letter and being quiet is not the worst thing I could have done. I could have written a bunch of kids up and got some kicked off the bus then they could not get to school because some parents dont have cars, and that write up stays in their file and goes to the next school with them till they graduate. I chose not to do those because to me that is abuse.

So, if I understand correctly, you want to punish the innocent children in the hopes that the offenders would feel bad about the innocent children being punished? Seems pretty unfair to the innocent children. As a parent, I would not encourage my child to write such a letter, unless I knew or suspected they were one of the guilty parties. I wouldn't stop them, if they wanted to, but I wouldn't encourage it. Nor would I encourage them to police the other students on behalf of the bus driver. As a parent, I doubt I'd find the letter writing worth complaining about, to either you or your boss, but I'd think it was pretty silly, and probably ineffectual.

Last edited:
then you miss understood because I want them to feel that someone likes them. Some of them dont get that at home.

Kim, it seems that you want to be "friends" with these kids. When really your main concern should be keeping them ALL safe,...which means they HAVE to follow the bus safety rules.
Really, you seem more concerned with having them "like" you...than with their safety...
Just my opinion based on what you have written here..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom