as if 1 sick chic wasn't enough :(

Barnyard

Addicted to Quack
12 Years
Aug 5, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Ok as you all know I am dealing with a rooster with a hurt leg. Still haven't figured out what the problem is and he is still on meds.......

Well today, 1 of my 14wk old pullets decided she needed to get over in the dog pen. (keep in mind my dogs are rott's)
Luckly I have very quick thinking children and neighbor kids that were out there at the time. My youngest son came runnig in the house "momma bobwhite got in sadie's pen"
"what" me my oldest soon and some other neighbor hood kids went running out the door and before I could get down there my oldest daughter and a friend had jumped in the pen and pride sadie's mouth open and got bobwhite out and was coming toward the house. Now that was fast. I quickly check her over for signs of blood or breaks and found a couple. I brought her in the house, and checked her over from head to toe. She has a pretty good cut on her right wing were I am sure a tooth got caught. She also has a nasty cut right above where her tail feather's start. I cleaned her up and put anti. cream on her and started her on med's. What else should I do? I have her in my bathroom where it is quiet and dark.

* Sounds like you do pretty good in a crisis!!!! Did you wash the wounds, first? Might give her a little boost of vits in her water, watch for fever and/or infection, and observe and don't put her with the other birds while she still has obvious wounds. Might think about antibiotics, as with any animal attack.

Last edited:
d.k :

* Sounds like you do pretty good in a crisis!!!! Did you wash the wounds, first? Might give her a little boost of vits in her water, watch for fever and/or infection, and observe and don't put her with the other birds while she still has obvious wounds. Might think about antibiotics, as with any animal attack.

Thanks. Yes I did wash the wounds before I put the med on there. I also went ahead and added antibotics to her water. The only thing I didn't do was the vit in the water. All I have is polyvisol, is that ok? Thankyou for your help.​

I think I am gonna pull my hair out........
barnie.gif

After rescuing bobwhite from the jaws of death today, I preceded to start diner. I get everything going and I realize that I haven't gave the roo any yogurt today, and figured that it wouldn't hurt to give bobwhite some also. So I get the bowls and fix the yogurt, take bobwhite hers(after warming it a little). She eats a little but not very much. I sit with her for a few minutes just talking to her and reassuring her that she is gonna be ok that her momma was gonna take care of her, lol. I put her back up and let her rest. I then headed with the second bowl outside. Well when I opened the door I could hear my little 4wk olds in the brooder behind the privency fence, chirping away, and thought what in the world is wrong now........ So I step outside the door and see 2 cats inspecting something in the corner under the carport.......
ep.gif
It is my only SSH baby
rant.gif
I have no idea how she got out of that brooder because there is a top on it, but I do know that she was almost lunch for a few kitty's if I would have been just a few minutes later. I guess the others were trying to let me know that "someone was not in there". Needless to say I have not had a good day. I hope tomorrow is better..........
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom