ASAP FREE TO GOOD HOME TRANSPORT INCLUDED

what you describe sounds like a typical male, when there are any females around. THEY are in charge, YOU bow down to them etc etc. Given he does not attack you thats a good start and I have a feeling that if he's with other ducks and he sees them running up and hand feeding he'll soon learn to be more friendly too. It worked with my chickens for the most part so Id think the same phyop would work with a duck too!

Id NEVER show him my cockatoo, then he'd just learn what gets your ass swatted. This bird is being a real brat today, HE wants attention and that is the ONLY thing that matters in the world.... if he screams one more time he's going to be shown the shower stall behind 4 closed doors again :D

Aaron
He comes up to me only cuz she did. Now he tries to run when I come in to the pen unless I have food in my hands. He never attacked but he's tried to wing bash me once or twice for separating them before.

I'm with @SolarDuck on considering using Craigslist to find a family for your duck. I also completely understand the reservations @Miss Lydia has. People do pose as families looking for pets and then sadly use that pet for a meal.

It can also work out beautifully. For example, I found my 3 adopted rescue ducks on Craigslist. Another person found them abandoned on a pond. She came to my home, twice. Once to meet me and inspect my house and my property. The other time to bring me my new ducks. She had criteria I had to meet before she would give me the ducks, like a predator proof run, coop, and pond on the property. My Craigslist ducks have had a happily ever after. I am fully committed to them and their well being.

If you say that you are going to charge more for the duck than they could buy meat for, that can protect the animal. You can then donate that money to an animal rescue group. Or give that money to their vet to prepay part of their first appointment. I've done both.

Unfortunately I am not having much luck finding someone for him. Being a male is a big issue sadly. You are in Jacksonville you said right? Every saturday about, the Tractor Supply by me, the one off New Kings Road, people all hang out in the parking lot behind the place for an informal swap meet. People bring chickens, pigs, ducks, all kinds of critters up there all the time to trade, give away. Maybe you could bring him up and someone might see him and take him off your hands? Crap, today was saturday, maybe next saturday? There is also the monthly meeting too while I never was there im told its pretty big and people bring their livestock / birds. If you were to be giving him away there, Im sure that someone with GOOD intentions for him, would not mind you following them home to see his new home.

Just trying to figure out ways to help. Man I wish I could win a lottery, id move onto a farm somewhere and take him in a heartbeat.

Aaron

I totally spaced. I got him at standard feed and seed. Im going to put up a little sign to good home. They have baby chickens and ducks all the time and I bet someone there has other pekins since thats what ducks they sell.

Back
Top Bottom