ascites assistance please she's dying :(

Mamahalo

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 12, 2011
Tallahassee
1) What type of bird , age and weight. - 2.5 week old pullet probably a leghorn less developed than all others

2) What is the behavior, exactly. - swollen belly, won't eat, won't open eyes, won't walk around... pretty sure its acites brought on by new litter dust

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? - 24-48 hours

Today I started feeding drops of water with the vitamin electrolytes in it but can't get her to eat anything - crumbles dry or wet or cooked yolk, she just won't open her mouth except to swallow the water. She has pooped a little with normal poo, a little watery, but i don't know when she last ate anything.

After researching Im pretty sure it was my fault - I used towels every day for the first week and switched to pine shavings last week and allofthesudden she started sitting in the corner and not joining the feeding frenzy, but I thought she was just being shy, noticed tonite she looked too weak and once I picked her up I could feel her swollen little belly...

Is there anything I can do to stop/relieve/drain the fluid? Can't afford to take her to a farm vet. First symptoms of any kind of illness in new flock of 29...
sad.png
sweet little lady i don't want to lose her

First off, it's most likely nothing that you did. Most chicks eat some shavings thier first few days on them with no ill effects (not that THAT'S what necessarily what caused whatever's wrong now). I would separate her simply because you can then observe whether she's eating/drinking on her own or not. I'd tempt her with little pieces of hard boiled or scrambled egg to see if she's up to eating.
So her belly is swollen, not her crop (off center chest area)???

Thank you

Yes, her whole abdomen feels like a balloon. Her chest feels like all other chicks. I seperated her around 5 pm and her crop was half full of crumble. She is def not eating or drinking alone, barely swallows water from the dropper and now her crop is empty. I'm going to try to drain her tomorrow, I found this post...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=506157&p=1

I
just hope she lasts through the night.

I've been holding her in my hand for about 2 hours now and she pooped 2x with just a little poo mostly water. I'll start fresh in the AM - gotta find a tiny needle... I'm scared.

You can do it! Be sure to put something over her head though - I've heard a thin sock works great!

Mamahalo, i think it is wonderful you want to help this little gal. However, I don't think your efforts will reward you with a live bird. A 2.5 week old chick is awfully small and the fluid in her chest cavity has possibly already caused permanent damage. I doubt she will last through the night and the kindest thing would probably be to euthanize her. However, if you do successfully drain fluid and she survives, make sure you start her on antibiotics.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom