chickmamat

Songster
Apr 3, 2018
California Desert
3yo RIR. After lots of research realized it was ascites. She’s been in fine spirits but I noticed her breathing heavily last week, have been keeping a close eye. I picked her up 4-5 days ago and realized her abdomen was full of fluid and felt like an overfilled water baloon.

We do not have the money to take her to the vet. After lots of research and watching multiple videos I decided I would attempt draining her to relieve the pressure on her lungs. She was really struggling today.

I used an 18 gauge, short needle and 60ml syringe. Cleaned the skin with an alcohol swab and inserted it on the right side of her lower abdomen where the fluid seemed most present. I drew out 110-120ml of an opaque yellow fluid.

She immediately was breathing easier, spirits seemed up. I gave her food and water with electrolytes and she’s been gobbling it up.
I realize this will not cure the root issue, but she has been in goog spirits the entire time and so I’d like to keep her as comfortable as possible.

HOWEVER, she has continued to drain from the punctures (I had to make 3) and it’s now been over 4hrs. She is not acting sick at all- just annoyed and continually preening her wet feathers on her bum. Did I do something wrong? Is the continued drainage normal? Her abdomen was SO FULL and so I assume there was a lot of pressure, but it feels back to normal now.
I thought it had stopped, but it started up again. I have her separated in a crate on a soft towel for the night.

Attachments

• 4AD14A80-2871-4F99-81C8-362D2043D486.jpeg
    4AD14A80-2871-4F99-81C8-362D2043D486.jpeg
    71.6 KB · Views: 72
This can be common. Eventually the puncture site will heal, but when I drained my bantam hen, that is what happened as well. I would keep her on a clean towel, and clean her belly puncture site off with a little disinfectant.

This can be common. Eventually the puncture site will heal, but when I drained my bantam hen, that is what happened as well. I would keep her on a clean towel, and clean her belly puncture site off with a little disinfectant.
It seems to have stopped. Her feathers on that side are all crusty though. I want to clean her off but am afraid it will reopen.... have you ever tried anything like a skin glue to keep it closed?

She is so happy and perky so I’m hoping this will extended her life a bit.

Skin heals pretty quickly, so you could wait a little and then clean it gently with some mild soap. I am glad that she is doing better after draining her. Mine perked up after the first draining, but several days later I had to drain her again, and the fluid was thick and cloudy which could have been infection. It kept clogging the needle, but leaked out after I removed it. She died within another week.

Get a 22 gauge instead - it will free-drain without a syringe. If she's to the point she's have my trouble breathing, you could be looking at 500-700ml or more that could be drained off.

Do be aware, they will drink more and will fill back up again quickly. Acites is caused by either tumors, impending organ failure or congestive heart failure. It is terminal and you can only take palliative measures.

Yes, a bird with ascites can live on for months, but it will catch up to her eventually. Be considerate of her quality of life and be ready to cull when she takes a turn for the worst.

We had planned the cull for our girl after getting the exotic vet's prognosis (he could feel lumps, so for her, it was tumors) when I'd be at the avian clinic at Birdcare Aotearoa on the weekend. She didn't make it that long and passed in her sleep.

It's not a pleasant call, but may be necessary.

Back
Top Bottom