Ascites?? Swollen, squishy abdomen - WITH PICS & VIDEO (page 9)

Terryg- So sorry for your loss. I agree it is very hard to make that decision and it is very important to keep a watchful eye on them. I feel very blessed that I have time everyday to spend with my girls. Everyday I hold them and love on them and I feel confident that I am alerted to the slightest change in their behavior. I have two girls, Shelby and Julia that have some form of
ascites. Because they have not showed any signs of decline except a swollen abdomen and had stopped laying, I decided I was going to do all that I could to find some solution. I am glad that I did because of looking thru all the threads I found where someone had suggested to try milk thistle. I have been doing this now for over a month and I have seen a significant drop in the size of their abdomens and both have started laying again. I am not saying they are cured I'm just saying I would have hated if I had culled them just because of what 80% of what I read said it was terminal. Again I think the key is just being keenly aware of their behaviors and knowing when there is even the slightest change. It is the hardest thing to put down a beloved pet that's for sure!!

Tamtam- we are all good here so far. The heat has been rough but I'm doing all I can to keep them cool, except load them all into the house :) I do know most of their laying schedules so I have an inside "laying Station" in the laundry room. I bring them in to lay and they love it. Their coop gets up to around 115 degrees so getting to come inside to lay eggs is a treat!
Good idea to drain Buttercup. She will feel much better in this heat!!

terryg - So sorry about your hen. Your post was very well written. I have watched Buttercup and she is swallowing her food. My personal assessment having raised her for 3 years and knowing her very, very well is that she still has a quality of life right now. I am not going to make any decisions on euthanizing her until it comes to that point. She is a tough girl and has pulled through a lot. She is not just a layer for me, she is my pet, just as my cats and dogs are pets. We don't harvest our laying flock for meat after a year or two since they are my pets and I'm a vegetarian anyway, but that's a whole other topic. If and when she gets to the point of not being herself I will do what is necessary.

arkansaschicks - I just told my husband about your laying station and he loves that idea! He thought it was so awesome :) Some lucky and spoiled girls you have!

Arkansaschick- I've had hens with swollen abdomens who have had that symptom disappear. In fact, Eleanor, a Barred Rock, is now 7 years old and at one point had a squishy abdomen. I don't euthanize as soon as I see that one symptom. Sometimes my Spa Cure works (http://hencam.com/faq/the-spa-treatment/) Sometimes time and TLC. However, what I've learned from years of experience and having done necropsies, is that it is very clear that when a hen stops avidly eating and if she stops roosting, that there is something very wrong and terminal going on. Having seen how massively diseased a bird can be, while still putting on an outward show of calm acceptance, has made me rethink how I interpret their quality of life. Our hens will not give us that look at the end of life that we humans expect to see - glazed eyes or sad emotions - and if you wait for that, then in my opinion, you've waited beyond the time that the animal was suffering. So, I look carefully at her behavior. Eleanor, despite being stiff and slow, still looks eager for food and still puts herself in the midst of the group. A suffering hen will be hunched and removed from the group and not hurry over for food. It sounds like you know your hens very well and are observant to their small changes and are making the best decisions for your birds. I hope they pull through just like Eleanor!

Terry- thank you for the spa treatment info. I have been on your site before and followed your instructions on the epsom salt treatment for vent gleet. I did it several times and felt it was making a difference. I just was unable to see if it would help her over the long term because Georgia fell off the roost and broke her leg about two weeks after I started it. I'm sure the girls will love a spa treatment!!
Like Tamtam said your article was very well written and I'm sure is very helpful!! I think it does help to understand that there are a lot of things that can happen to chickens and you just have to be prepared to lose them. It is just difficult when you do. I'm glad to hear Eleanor made it through the ascites. Gives me hope that some of my girls might live to be 7 or older :)

shes egg bound or has sour crop, is her crop bloated like a ballon?

Wait, what? Egg binding and sour crop do not present remotely like each other.
hu.gif
They're at two different ends of the bird.

No, Buttercup does not have sour crop and is not eggbound. She hasn't laid an egg since last November. I suspect she is laying internally which has no cure. At this point I'm just trying to make her as comfortable as possible by draining her abdomen when fluid builds up and watching her closely.

I have been reading your thread! How is sweat Buttercup doing now? I have lost many chickens to reasons unknown. Sometimes I wish there were more cures and medicines for poultry, because it's hard for me to even get my hens to an Avian vet. I have been praying for her. Hope sooo much she pulls through, but if she doesn't you can always have the peace she is not suffering any more and is with our Holy Father, and one day you will get to see her again!!! Please continue to update on her status!!!

Back
Top Bottom