Ascites?? Swollen, squishy abdomen - WITH PICS & VIDEO (page 9)

Sorry about your hen's broken leg! That is so sad. I have seen many people post about how chickens rarely make it through surgery due to the anesthesia. I think it is just too taxing on them.

As far as your buff orp, this thread may help you out - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/506157/think-that-my-girl-has-ascites-update-chicken-better/10. gallusdomesticus said: "You'll need to treat the underlying cause of ascites. There are several causes but the two most prominent causes are congestive heart failure and fattly liver syndrome. There's not much you can do for the first cause but you can treat the second. Don't give her sugary treats such as fruit or bread. My vet prescribes milk thistle extract which I give her every day. People and animals use it to aid liver health and you can buy it over the counter in health food stores. It's normally in pill form which can be crushed and mixed with water to be squirted in her mouth with a syringe. It won't cure the ascites but mitigates the symptoms and delays the need to have her abdomen drained."

I'm trying to hang in there with Buttercup, it's just so heartbreaking to see her go downhill. Tonight my husband said he saw some older pictures of her and said he was shocked at how much she has changed in the past few months.

Good luck with your girl!

Thank you! My Georgia didn't make it. She was a GLW just like Buttercup. She took a fall off her roost from fighting over the choice spot and the vet did x-rays and said it was broken but very fixable with surgery. She opened her up to put in the pin in and said her bones were just too brittle and would not accept the pin. So instead of the call "she is recovering and come get her..... it was you have no choice we have to put her down" It is always hard if you are someone that gets really attached to animals. I never thought chickens could be so personable and loveable!! Mine love to cuddle and be pet so it is difficult when one is no longer around!
I really appreciate the info. My vet told me a year ago that my hen Shelby most likely had fatty liver and she told me to cut down on her protein. When she went broody her large abdomen went down a lot. Just recently it is coming back. It doesn't seem like fluid it just seems like fat. My vet never suggested to drain it so I have never tried that. She just said change her diet. I think I am going to try the milk thistle first.
I wish there was some answer for Buttercup!! All you can do is love her and do your best for her. You never know what the outcome might be. Just keep fighting for her! Good luck and thanks again for the info

That would be a very hard call to get from the vet, especially if you're not expecting it. Like you, I never thought I would get attached to my chickens. In fact, I remember thinking if I didn't end up liking them, I'd just give them to someone else with a farm. Boy, was I wrong! From day one I was in love. Mine are very lovable and personable, too. They each have their own personality! I have actually become a vegetarian since getting my chickens. I love to show people how chickens are really fun animals and they are worth more than eating!

I think it's a good idea to start Shelby on the milk thistle, especially since your vet told you she had fatty liver. Thanks so much for the support :)

How is Buttercup doing? The great thing about this website is not only all the help you can get but knowing there are people out there that really love their chickens like you do :) Sometimes I feel so crazy. I do the same thing telling people how smart my chickens are and how they know their names and come when called. My favorite story is about Millie, my Barred Rock that comes up every morning when I sit down with them and hops on my lap and climbs up on my chest and puts her head on my shoulder and I rub her neck. She also loves to rest her head right against my face and go to sleep while i read a book. People don't believe me.... they really do not know or understand how chickens can be if you love and spend time with them. I saw your post about " do you ever think about giving up raising chickens. " and yes it is very painful but I promise you would miss them!! I know taking care of Buttercup has been very hard but you have people here to support you. It really can bring comfort when you have like-minded people to visit with about the ups and downs of chicken raising. Friends with chickens does provide support. Feeling like we are all alone in our sufferings does make it harder. Draw strength from the people who love chickens just as much as you do and it will make the hard times easier!

Buttercup is still pretty much the same at this point. I've noticed she seems to have a little more difficulty walking than usual, I'm guessing because all of the solidified egg yolks are building up inside her and the mass seems to be heavy. She still roosts, poops, eats, and drinks like normal. She is slower than she used to be, and sits down quite a bit now. But let me tell you, she can still book it across the run for her favorite treats! I picked some blueberries this weekend and the chickens are loving them! I take out a handful every time I go to check on them, and Buttercup runs as fast as she can to snag some. :)

I'm just enjoying her as much as possible and trying to be grateful for the time I have with her. She has rallied and pulled through better than I ever thought, so at this point I'm just taking each day as it comes. She still seems to be enjoying life, especially if she sees me with some treats in hand. :)

I feel crazy a lot of the time when I'm telling people about my chickens! I have received more strange looks and laughs than I can say when I tell people the story behind each of their names and what their personalities are like. Here lately I've been used to it, and honestly I don't care anymore! This is my true authentic self - a crazy chicken lady. And I'm proud of it! The best people in this world are a little weird and I'm owning it as best as I can haha!

Thanks sooooo much for your support. You have definitely made this road easier and I am so thankful to know there are people out there who love their chickens as much as I do. For a while I felt all alone in my suffering so I ended up posting and getting support on here and the response has been amazing. You guys have really helped me out! :)

Hope all is well with you! Did you ever get the information about how much milk thistle extract to give. I bought some today and went back thru the post and could not find anything except where it was recommended to you. Thanks so much!!

We actually drained Buttercup again tonight. Poked her three times and instead of all three in the same area, did one on the far left and two on the far right. She was dripping out pretty steadily so hopefully it'll help. Seems like she's getting fluid back in very quickly now, so I guess we will just have to drain her about every week or so. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to make her more comfortable!

I never saw anything on how much milk thistle to give. You could PM gallusdomesticus and ask how much she used to give to her hen. I found a site online that gave some information if you want to check it out - http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7987418. But I'd say the best thing would be to ask gallusdomesticus since she has had experience with this in the past.

Thanks! I did message them so hopefully I can start it soon. I noticed today that one of Shelby's babies has a big squishy butt too. I guess whatever it is that they have is a genetic thing. Glad to hear Buttercup is still doing ok. Last night I was looking up some stuff and found a drug Lupron that they give to birds to stop overactive egg production. I printed it off but did not have time to completely read it. I just keep thinking there has to be something out there! I keep telling my kids I need a chicken vet in the family please! No such luck :(

Oh no! Sorry about Shelby's baby. Lupron sounds interesting, I'll have to look into that! I know, I wish I had a chicken vet in my family! If I had the time and money and lived close to one, I'd love to go to veterinary school. Seems like there are not enough vets out there who know about chickens!

Back
Top Bottom