Ascites?? Swollen, squishy abdomen - WITH PICS & VIDEO (page 9)

@redhen - How is your girl doing? I found that often times when I poked Buttercup a couple times with the needle she would just drain out completely on her own after that. I hope your hen is feeling better!
Sorry tamtam, I didn't see your post until now.
I actually think my hen is in liver failure. I'm not sure but think she might have eaten someting toxic. DH isn't very thoughtful when it comes to spraying pesticides around, and he knows I "freak out" about him spraying the stuff all over, so he tries to do it when i'm not home.
Anyway I haven't kept records of what I've done when, but I have drained her once more a week or two ago. Today she seemed to be really uncomfortable, and she's blown up like a water balloon again. So I stuck her 4 times, pulling 40 ml of straw colored fluid out. It's a few hours later and she has a constant drip from the holes. :( She seems more comfortable after the fluid is removed.

Gosh, I'm so sorry! She should be better now though with that fluid off her. You may have to search back through the pages of this thread, but someone mentioned how milk thistle extract is helpful for liver function, so that may be something you could look into. Good luck!

I had a girl do the same thing. She was so miserable and I didn't know I could drain the fluid. The vet did take some off.
She eventually died and I did a necropsy and found a bunch of weird growths in her abdomen. Never did find out what it was for certain.

Are you concerned with infection with multiple abdominal taps?

ernie85017 - I never had any problem with Buttercup getting infected. Each time I drained her I used a new sterile needle and she was always ok. I think it is a concern though and you should check your hen periodically after draining to make sure everything is ok.

@Mountain Life - Milk thistle has been shown to help with liver functions and promote a healthy liver. Ascites or fluid retention in the abdomen can be caused (among other things) by fatty liver disease, so some people have tried giving their hens milk thistle to help clear up any possible liver problems. I did buy some myself at the local health food store back when Buttercup was having problems (she has since passed away) but I didn't keep up with it because it was impossible to get her to take it. I'm not sure how much you give them per day, but probably about 1/2 a dropper full would be fine. You can try putting it on bread or in oatmeal or another treat your hen really likes to trick her into eating it. Hope that helps!

Well seems like I have to do this all again. Another one of my hens started acting sick with swollen abdomen. Tried to drain her but she gave me a difficult time compared to when I did this to Rosie. Did get a small amount of fluid then she drain the rest of the way on her own. This time I went right out and purchased the milk thistle and will give this a try. Fingers crossed that I have better luck this round.

@Romochickencrazy - Oh no! So sorry you have another girl with a swollen abdomen. I didn't stick with the milk thistle for long enough to tell if it made any difference, but I hope it works for you. I know some people have mentioned putting it on a piece of bread or another food your girl really likes to get her to eat it. At least she'll feel better after draining that fluid out on her own. Best of luck to you!

@Romochickencrazy - I'm glad I could have helped! It's the only good thing to come from situations like these. Keep us posted on the milk thistle therapy - I really hope it works for your girl!

Back
Top Bottom