Ascites?? Swollen, squishy abdomen - WITH PICS & VIDEO (page 9)

I've been following this thread for a month now. I don't have any chicks yet - just reading as much as I can so that I know what to expect. With all of the problems with the 3-yr old hatchery chicks, I am wondering if heritage lines might be better for the backyard chicken owner. Not bred solely to maximize early egg production, so they might be a healthier bird in the long run? Just a thought.

- E

Oh no! I'm so sorry about Clementine :( I almost cried reading that because I was really pulling for her.

When I took Buttercup to the vet it stressed her out horribly and I actually thought she was going to pass when I got her back home because she looked so bad. I had to do something though, so I don't regret taking her. I really believe you did the right thing in her case and all you can do now is take this as a learning experience and try to grow from it (but I know that's hard to hear right now). Clementine was so lucky to have you on her side! Not sure of your beliefs, but I like to think Clementine is in heaven happily pecking around with my hens who have passed away :)

E - That's what I'm thinking now. I'm no expert (I'm sure speckledhen knows WAY more about this) but I do believe that is correct. The only 3 yo hen of mine that hasn't given me any issues yet is my Delaware which is a heritage breed. I think if you hatch and breed your own chicks that will give you a stronger and more hardy bird.

I'm now seriously doubting I'll buy hatchery chicks again.

I have had many hatchery hens die of reproductive issues and two crossbreeds whose parents were hatchery stock, but none so far that were breeder/heritage hens. They are not completely immune to reproductive malfunction, certainly, but you'll most likely have much less issue with that if you have good quality stock, IMO.

Last edited:
Thanks tamtam84 - I know I did the right thing, even though it sucks right now. I really appreciate the kind words though - it means a lot. And I agree about avoiding hatchery chicks, however, it's pretty much the go-to place for people (like me) who must have sexed chicks (with a no-rooster policy where they live). It's a tough call. I see chicks offered at local chicken swaps, but they're straight run and I can't gamble with the chances of getting that many roosters. At least with hatchery chicks your chances of getting girls are pretty good - but then you risk this problem of EYP. Catch 22, huh?

Again - thanks.

You know, if you get hatchery breeds that are less known for that "egg-a-day" production, you may fare better.

My hatchery Brahmas never had any egg issues. I lost one at 5 1/2 to ovarian cancer, but she was laying up until about 4 weeks before she died. The other is over 5 1/2 now and still seems just fine. She lays 3 eggs per week when she is in production, which is a bit more than half of the year at her advanced age.

I'm within driving distance of Carter's Legacy Farms - they are on my short list for ordering chicks. They do ship, but I think it will be fun to bring my children to their farm to pick up the chicks. CLF will be offering heritage lines October and January (Buff Orps and Barred Rocks). They still haven't posted how they will sell them so I waiting to find out if they are SR or sexed (90%). There are probably other smaller hatcheries who do the same. I also have a coworker who sells chicks at a local flea market, so that is another alternative over the larger hatcheries (Ideal is my third choice).

Hate to say it and it may not be true for everyone, not bashing a hatchery, certainly, but all of my original hens and a few others came from one of the big well-known hatcheries. That includes those two Brahmas I mentioned who didn't have egg problems and a banty Cochin and a year old Silver Phoenix.

The bantam Cochin has had some issues with egg binding but we were there each time to ease the egg out of her. The Phoenix has been broody and raised a chick so no idea if she will ever have any reproductive problems, but Phoenix are not one of the most common egg production types so Molly may be just fine.

I feel comfortable saying that if you buy one of the most common hatchery breeds you see at local feed stores, you will see internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis and salpingitis in your hens. And by the most common, judging by what the feed stores around me have for their chick days in the spring, I mean the Rocks, Wyandottes, Orpingtons, Reds (RIRs and/or Production Reds), and all of the sex links.

I probably said this before somewhere on this thread, but the hen out of that same hatchery who lived the longest, RIP Sunny, died at 6 1/2 years old just recently. She was the only hen out of all of those hatchery hens who was ever broody (twice) in her life, so she had two long, natural breaks from egg laying other than her molts. Natural breaks are what these hatchery hens are missing since broodiness has pretty much been bred out of them in favor of egg production.

Last edited:
My Golden Laced Wyandotte, Buttercup, is 2.5 years old. About a week ago I noticed her acting lethargic and her tail was droopy. She got better, but since yesterday she seems worse. Tail down, abdomen very swollen and squishy, and she has what looks like egg yolk on her fluff under her vent.

When I tried to clean off her fluff, she put her tail down and didn't want me to mess with it. Her vent looks normal, moist and pink (couldn't get a close up of that). Here's what she has on her fluff, my husband says it is definitely egg yolk.

She hasn't layed in quite some time. She started her molt back in November and hasn't started laying again yet. The previous year after her molt she was laying again in early February.

The area where her fluff is (her abdomen/bottom) seems very large and is squishy. I don't feel anything hard in there so I don't think she's eggbound. It just seems like there's a lot of fluid. I would say that it feels like it's swollen to about the size of a softball or larger.

I've been researching and found threads where people drained the fluid, but ultimately it was fatal for the hen. I want to take her to the vet, but my husband thinks if it's going to kill her anyway he doesn't want to spend any money for a visit/medicine. The last hen we took to the vet died the next day so we were out close to $100 for nothing (I think the visit stressed her out majorly and she was already so weak that she passed that night in her coop).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to see my Buttercup go, but if it is going to kill her I want to know so I can be prepared. I have a bad feeling. :(
I'd talk to the vet if you are still getting flack from DH. The vet may have the latetest info that might save more hens, especially if you can get info on prevention.

speckledhen - Sorry about your Sunny passing. Sounds like she was the lucky one out of the hatchery batch. Thanks for the great info on hatchery birds. You have me all but convinced to get future chicks from a breeder or hatch my own. Of course we got 7 pullets from our local farm store (hatchery stock unfortunately) this April so now I'm already worried about issues with them down the road. This chicken keeping thing is a lot of trial and error. Sometimes I feel like there is such a sharp learning curve.

NoZolbitty - I did end up taking Buttercup to the vet shortly after I started this thread (I think I talked about it on pg 2 or 3). Unfortunately the vet wasn't too knowledgeable about her condition or how to drain her. Everything I know I've learned from commenters on this thread and not from the vet. There are lots of people who have gone through EYP with their hens and they were able to give me great advice and info; much more info than the vet had for me.

Back
Top Bottom