Ascites?? Swollen, squishy abdomen - WITH PICS & VIDEO (page 9)

Just had this happen to me again. Buff Orp was a bowling ball of fluid-filled abdomen. Her comb was purple. She could not get on the roost. We decided NOT to drain or even treat with penicillin, as we had done that weeks before her abdomen had expanded to this extent. We separated her, fed her the easily digestible chick starter, eggs with olive oil and vitamins, just stuff easy on her crop (crops tend to malfunction in dying birds is why the dietary change). She started looking perkier after a couple of weeks, but when we returned her to the coop, she was attacked by the hens, which always happens when a lower ranking hen is dying, so kept her separate a bit longer. Then, one day she was so bouncy, we let her go back. They didn't really bother her much so she stayed.

This is a HUGE hen, biggest I've ever seen, a breeder quality Buff Orpington, but she was skin and bones other than the huge abdomen. Had been a wonderful layer, then went into her first big molt, quit laying, then the going-to-nest-no-egg started and went on for a month.

And she is young, too, a year and a half old. Yesterday, I caught her to check her abdomen when I saw her color was a lovely Pepto Bismol pink in the face and comb. Guess what? Fluid is completely GONE. No explanation for it, other than her body is trying to repair itself. Now, is she healed? Maybe not. Recently, I lost a 3 year old crossbreed hen with the same situation. She seemed okay, just not super perky, but her abdomen was back to normal, just wasn't laying again. Found her dead under the roost one morning. So, obviously, she was laying internally, and this Orp hen may be as well. I won't know that for sure unless we open her up if she passes on.

Now we wait for her to begin laying, if she does. Could go either way. So you see how these things go.

Last edited:
Well I have some sad news....But it's not my Ruby, she seems to be doing fine ( so far ). My Buff Orp- Honey, passed away last Sat. 9-8. She was 2.5 yrs old.
I never suspected a thing with her; she was starting a light molt and had stopped laying, so I didn't think much of it. She was active and eating, drinking then suddenly she was found dead in the coop. We looked her over and there didn't appear to be any injuries and she had good weight on her too. Matter of fact, I was checking out all their combs for color just the day before and hers looked great. I am totally dumbfounded by this.
She was definitely the lowest on the pecking order and a bit more skittish than the others but certainly got her share of treats and food.

I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else, is this typical for Buff's, etc? Well thanks for listening, it does help to know that there are others who understand that our girls are more than just producers.

speckledhen - Sorry you're going through this again. So weird when their fluid completely disappears. Will be hoping for the best for your girl.

RobinZech - Oh no! I'm so sorry for the loss of Honey. I have never had a chicken of mine die with no other symptoms, so I don't have much light to shed on this one. The only thing I can say is that I have learned chickens are masters at hiding their illnesses so she may have had something wrong but didn't show it. Of course then there's no way you could have known. I have heard of others saying their chickens passed suddenly from what they thought was a heart attack, so I guess that's a possibility.

Maybe others have more experience with sudden deaths. Just wanted to say I'm so sorry and hope you can find peace. It's so hard when we lose our beloved animals. Hang in there!

RobinZech I'm so sorry about our loss!! I had that happen to one of my Buff Orp. Gracie had fluid on her backside and it appears she had fatty liver syndrome . She was mostly laying good eggs. Every once in a while laid a Shell less. She ate well and appeared happy and healthy. She was very active all day then refused to get up on the roosting bar. I brought her to the got crate and she suddenly just died in my arms. I think from a heart attack. It is so hard to know what really happen unless you take them to be analyzed. Sorry!!!

Just wanted to pop in with another update on Buttercup. She's still doing well and I think she may have actually gained a little weight back because her breast doesn't seem as bony. And every night now her crop is full (I check her crop when she's on the roost before I lock them up for the night), so I know she's eating well. Basically after her fluid went off she has been eating a lot more. She actually started molting early this week but seems to be doing ok. I hope that her fluid won't return since during molting they don't lay eggs, so hopefully she will stop laying internally for the time being.

Hope everyone else's girls are doing ok!

I'm so glad Buttercup is doing well. I've been wanting to thank you again for all you've shared through your journey! It was extremely helpful when I was trying to figure out what was going on with our girl. None of the options from the Vet seemed right and I felt very disheartened... Your post gave me a lot of hope and know how! Draining her and giving her the best quality of life seemed the right thing to do. We sadly had to cull her a few weeks ago. She was starting to really go down hill ... It had come to the point where we needed to end it for her.
~ Best to you ~

KinsleyFarm - Thanks so much for your kind words! I, too, was disheartened when I took Buttercup to the vet and found out I got more help here than I did at the vet's office. It was only right to share the knowledge try my best to help others in the same situation.

So sorry about your girl :( I've never had to make that type of decision before so I can only imagine how hard it must have been for you. But you knew her better than anyone else and you did the best thing for her in her situation. *hugs*

Hi everyone. I just wanted to pop back in with an update. Buttercup is doing well! She recently went through a light molt and has some beautiful new feathers in so she looks really pretty and full. I also wanted to write about a connection I've seen between food and her swelling. Back when all of her fluid mysteriously drained off, I had switched them from Dumor to Purina Layena layer crumbles (simply because my local TSC was out of Dumor so I had to go with the Layena). I didn't think anything of it at the time, but after that I switched back to Dumor when it was in stock again at TSC and noticed Buttercup's fluid started to come back. At this point I realized about the food, so I thought I'd switch back to the Layena just to see if it made a difference. After she was on the Layena for about a week, I did notice a decrease in her swelling.

I don't know if it is correlated, but it seemed like something worth sharing. I haven't closely compared the ingredients between the two feeds so I'm not sure what it could be, but I know I'll be feeding Layena from now on because it seems to be working. I know her fluid may come back again in the future, but for now this seems to be keeping it at bay for whatever reason so I'm sticking with it!

It is with a very heavy and sad heart that I have to let everyone know that Buttercup passed away tonight in my arms. She took a turn for the worse a couple weeks ago and her swelling came back more than ever before. Her belly was practically dragging the ground. One week ago we brought her inside and drained about a cup of brown, smelly fluid off her and she just went downhill after that. She wouldn't eat her feed and wasn't drinking much. I could get her to eat some oatmeal a couple times a day, but she was getting so skinny. I tried everything I knew to do, but in the end it just wasn't enough.

I can't believe my first post was on March 14th. Honestly, I said my goodbyes to her several times before tonight because it was touch and go so many times. I'm just glad that I was able to be with her in her final moments and tell her how much she meant to me. I was so scared she would pass overnight and I would find her in the morning. I just want to be with my animals when they go if at all possible. I didn't want her to feel alone.

This is the last photo I took of Buttercup and her last time outside a few days ago.

I just want to thank you all, from the bottom of my heart, for your support and advice on this thread. I hope sharing Buttercup's ordeal helped someone else going through the same thing. If anyone is dealing with internal laying in one of their hens right now and needs to talk, I am here. I know how hard it is.

Thanks again everyone.

oh tamtam - I'm so sorry :( It's never easy when you lose a pet, especially one that you've spent so much time nursing back to health with a chronic condition. You gave her a lot more months than she'd ever have gotten with anyone else.... You're definitely in my thoughts
hit.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom