Ascites?

This may be a dumb question, but could it be from severe overmating and packing? We recently had 2 roos in with 6 hens (I know this is bad, but several of our hens died unexpectedly from a dog attack while free ranging, and left us with a bad ratio.) We have gotten rid of the mean rooster, but he was in there for several weeks and she was both of the roo's favorite. Whenever one bred her the other eould attack him and they had a whole fight right on top of her. She was pretty messed up, and her back is still bare. Maybe she's just in shock or something still? I'm just being hopeful, but thought I'd throw it out there. Thanks guys.
20200322_164154_HDR.jpg

Sorry to be the debbie downer(or honest hannah) but ascites is usually not a recoverable condition. It's caused by organ failure. Draining is a temporary relief from the symptom(accumulation of fluids). It might make her(and mostly you) feel a bit better, but not a long term 'cure'. Coaxed one thru it for a few days, it only prolonged her suffering, before euthanasia ended it. Had two more and euthanized immediately. All three had serious issues inside.
that is true, Draining the fluid is basically palliative care, each situation is different as well, the extent of internal damage can affect how long they live with it, but it’s not a cure for sure.

This may be a dumb question, but could it be from severe overmating and packing? We recently had 2 roos in with 6 hens (I know this is bad, but several of our hens died unexpectedly from a dog attack while free ranging, and left us with a bad ratio.) We have gotten rid of the mean rooster, but he was in there for several weeks and she was both of the roo's favorite. Whenever one bred her the other eould attack him and they had a whole fight right on top of her. She was pretty messed up, and her back is still bare. Maybe she's just in shock or something still? I'm just being hopeful, but thought I'd throw it out there. Thanks guys. View attachment 2059416
I wouldn’t say it’s the cause, but I’ve found that stress can speed up and increase the severity of symptoms at times, she’s probably had this for a while, but sometimes trauma can bring it to a head. It’s good to be hopeful though, you are there and you are the only one who is actually experiencing the situation, we are just going off the perceived symptoms, which of course can be false in some cases. I hope that we are wrong and that she recovers, but if we are right, we hope we can help you do what’s best for her. She is very pretty, has a nice pattern.

Should I just leave her be for a while? I'll baby her, but if I leave her be do you think she might get better somewhat? I know it won't just go away, but can she still live for a while? She's just hatchery stock, but I still think she's pretty. :)

Possibly u can try draining the fluids with needle and syringe it could be 2 suspected case that's is cyst and ascitis..if u drain the fluid and the it clear like water and has no smell that's cyst and if it's dirty and smelly it's ascitis..with cyst the fluid will come back later if u drain it because there is lining that develop in there and this tissue has the ability to drain the body nutrients and keep it there so the clear fluid u see is the body nutrients..u will need a technician to surgically open and remove then fluid with the lining..with ascitis drain the fluid and then try to put iodine in water and then use syring without needs to pump the iodine solution in the channel where U drain the fluid and then drain that out also the iodine will kill the bacteria then observe her for 3 days if it's healing or fluid coming back again

Last edited:
Should I just leave her be for a while? I'll baby her, but if I leave her be do you think she might get better somewhat? I know it won't just go away, but can she still live for a while? She's just hatchery stock, but I still think she's pretty. :)
She won’t get better if she has acities, depending on how severe her cancer or organ damage is she may live for a while, draining the fluid could possibly extend her life, but it isn’t a guarantee. but it is possible we could be wrong about her diagnosis. Just make her comfortable and I’ll be praying that’s not what it is and she gets better. But otherwise there isn’t much you can do given the circumstances there isn’t any way of knowing how long she’ll live

Last edited:
Hi guys. My SLW hen is kinda lethargic, hasn't layed in a few days, and has a very swollen abdomen. It is really squishy. I want to try and drain it, but I don't have a syringe with a needle. I have syringes and I have needles, can I poke in the needle and then poke in the syringe? I'm confused. Any help you can offer would be great. We aren't allowed to go anywhere for at least 2 weeks, as we traveled recently and are self-quarantining. I have some durvet liquid vitamin b complex. Here are a couple pics of her. They aren't uploading...
My RIR hen is doing the exact same thing with the bloating?! Not egg bound but stays on the roost😞

She won’t get better if she has acities, depending on how severe her cancer or organ damage is she may live for a while, draining the fluid could possibly extend her life, but it isn’t a guarantee. but it is possible we could be wrong about her diagnosis. Just make her comfortable and I’ll be praying that’s not what it is and she gets better. But otherwise there isn’t much you can do given the circumstances there isn’t any way of knowing how long she’ll live
Thank you!

Possibly u can try draining the fluids with needle and syringe it could be 2 suspected case that's is cyst and ascitis..if u drain the fluid and the it clear like water and has no smell that's cyst and if it's dirty and smelly it's ascitis..with cyst the fluid will come back later if u drain it because there is lining that develop in there and this tissue has the ability to drain the body nutrients and keep it there so the clear fluid u see is the body nutrients..u will need a technician to surgically open and remove then fluid with the lining..with ascitis drain the fluid and then try to put iodine in water and then use syring without needs to pump the iodine solution in the channel where U drain the fluid and then drain that out also the iodine will kill the bacteria then observe her for 3 days if it's healing or fluid coming back again
Thanks. I don't have any way of draining it though as I don't have a needle with a syringe.

Back
Top Bottom