Ascites?

You need to withdraw the fluid. Letting it drain out on its own can cause shock. Go easy. Do not drain her dry. Your goal isn't to remove it all, just enough to make her more comfortable. This procedure is in no way a cure. It's just a temporary relief of discomfort. It will come back because nothing will change her liver failing, if this is actually ascites. She is awfully young to be in liver failure.
I’m starting to think it is not Ascites since it is not squishy & is more firm & seems inflamed & warm. Not sure what else it could be. ? Egg yolk peritonitis another suggested. Could she be egg bound even though she has laid? Over mating? Injury since she was limping & not using her right leg for weight bearing?

I can just kick myself sometimes. I was in a hurry and didn't read your original post. I only answered your question about draining ascites and should have gotten the background.

That swelling is not ascites. Ascites developes in front of the legs and pushes the legs far apart . That swelling is likely from a reproductive infection. It's usually treated differently with an antibiotic. Do you have any on hand?

I can just kick myself sometimes. I was in a hurry and didn't read your original post. I only answered your question about draining ascites and should have gotten the background.

That swelling is not ascites. Ascites developes in front of the legs and pushes the legs far apart . That swelling is likely from a reproductive infection. It's usually treated differently with an antibiotic. Do you have any on hand?
That’s ok, I get it! I do have antibiotics on hand & a tractor supply 8 miles away. What kind do you recommend? I prefer to use something that she could eat since she loves to eat ANYTHING! I prefer not to do the water method because I don’t want the rest of the chickens to be on antibiotics if I can help it. Some of the others are starting to loose neck feathers so they need all the vitamins & nutrients that I put in the water currently.

Amoxicilln 250mg per day for ten days is what I recommend. TSC may carry amoxy 500mg that you can divide.
I just left tractor supply, and they do not carry amoxicillin. They have terramycin, scours for calves, oxytetracycline, injectable & here are pictures of what I have at home just in case.

Attachments

• 3DB84955-4556-4D84-BC5C-E3052E4497A6.jpeg
    3DB84955-4556-4D84-BC5C-E3052E4497A6.jpeg
    413 KB · Views: 5
  • D8A34E9A-9602-45BE-AE3A-6C6E82FA44D3.jpeg
    D8A34E9A-9602-45BE-AE3A-6C6E82FA44D3.jpeg
    465.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 5B8BC977-5699-4F17-BD72-2284FBBCB513.jpeg
    5B8BC977-5699-4F17-BD72-2284FBBCB513.jpeg
    413.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 427B893D-0B11-4CBC-AB86-97745A61301C.jpeg
    427B893D-0B11-4CBC-AB86-97745A61301C.jpeg
    379.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 7F205740-EDF8-47A8-88E7-1E352AFA81F4.jpeg
    7F205740-EDF8-47A8-88E7-1E352AFA81F4.jpeg
    555.2 KB · Views: 5
Baytril 10% liquid can be used for reproductive infections. Dosage is 0.05 ml per pound given orally twice a day. For an 8 pound bird that would be 0.4 ml, for a 7 pound hen give 0.35 ml, for a 5 pound hen give 0.25 ml, etc.

Amoxicillin can be found online for fish—Aqua Mox 250 mg.
Here is a link:
https://www.allivet.com/product/aqua-mox-amoxicillin/52208.html?sku=52208-1

Thank you both @Eggcessive & @azygous. 1) Is it ok if I start her on the Baytril while I wait for the fish mox to get here?
2) when I get it can I break the aqua Mox in half & just hand feed it to her rather than put it in water?
3) what is the egg withdrawal on both the Baytril & the aqua-Mox?

Last edited:
The aqua mox is in pill form. For fish, they get it in their tank. For chickens, just shove the 250mg pill into the beak. Or if you like, break it in half and give half in the morning and the other half when evening comes. Ten days.

Batril is very potent. You might not need the amoxy if she improves on the Baytril.

The aqua mox is in pill form. For fish, they get it in their tank. For chickens, just shove the 250mg pill into the beak. Or if you like, break it in half and give half in the morning and the other half when evening comes. Ten days.

Batril is very potent. You might not need the amoxy if she improves on the Baytril.
The aqua-mox is ordered. I will start her on the Baytril right now. I used it for Bumblefoot in another hen & put it on a little piece of bread but for this hen (Pearl) I will put it on scrambled egg since her crop still feels a tiny bit doughy tonight.
I added to my last reply post since you probably read it last. Would you mind looking at it again to answer my additional questions about the meds? Please & thank you😊 so so much, you have all been absolutely a dream once AGAIN!!!

Back
Top Bottom