Ascities- need HELP

Chopper112

Chirping
Sep 2, 2018
I have a 4 year old leghorn that has had Ascities in the past. Roughly 7-8 months ago I discovered it and have drained her twice already successfully. She has stopped laying awhile ago, but she is a pet and want her to live out the best life she can.It has been about 4- 5 months since the last draining and I have noticed that her abdomen is swollen again, but this time extremely hard. Her chest done is so thin and sticking out. Seems to eat so so and drink. Doesn't feel the same as before with water belly- Ascities? What else could it possibly be? Please advise! Ty!

It could be that the Ascities could be wearing her body down and she’s starting to not be able to absorb her nutrients and weight due to the disease. As for her abdomen being swollen and harden, I’m not sure. Is she acting normal? Is she eating and drinking good? Does she poop normally and does it look normal?

I have a 4 year old leghorn that has had Ascities in the past. Roughly 7-8 months ago I discovered it and have drained her twice already successfully. She has stopped laying awhile ago, but she is a pet and want her to live out the best life she can.It has been about 4- 5 months since the last draining and I have noticed that her abdomen is swollen again, but this time extremely hard. Her chest done is so thin and sticking out. Seems to eat so so and drink. Doesn't feel the same as before with water belly- Ascities? What else could it possibly be? Please advise! Ty!
I'm not sure why it would be hard now unless her illness is advancing.
Let's ask @TwoCrows to chime in and see if she's encountered this before.

I am sorry you are dealing with ascites, it's a horrible issue for the poor bird and its keeper. :hugs

I have had several cases of ascites but only 1 of them turned hard. And I know what you are talking about, the belly is really hard! I am not a vet but I determined that this hardened tissue was a response to internal infections. Eventually all this fluid causes bacterial infections in the surrounding intestines, liver, intestines can herniate, etc... The tissue gets tight and hard. You wont be able to drain the belly at this point and if her quality of life is poor, you might consider having her put down. All my birds became extremely thin, just incredibly draining.

:hugs

I am sorry you are dealing with ascites, it's a horrible issue for the poor bird and its keeper. :hugs

I have had several cases of ascites but only 1 of them turned hard. And I know what you are talking about, the belly is really hard! I am not a vet but I determined that this hardened tissue was a response to internal infections. Eventually all this fluid causes bacterial infections in the surrounding intestines, liver, intestines can herniate, etc... The tissue gets tight and hard. You wont be able to drain the belly at this point and if her quality of life is poor, you might consider having her put down. All my birds became extremely thin, just incredibly draining.

:hugs
She is eating and drinking. Her poop is usually diarrhea like. She is thin and I do know that leghorns due to high egg production chickens do not life as long as other breeds. I am becoming very familiar with illnesses and can treat most of them ahead of time. I knew inevitably she wouldn't last long ,but she has made it another year with me draining her twice comfortably. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something else. This site has been a huge support system and can't thank everyone who answers all my questions through these last 4 years enough! I have learned alot. Lost some chickens, saved others with your help. 54 chickens. All different breeds. They are pets and a hobby and of course the eggs are the best. Thank you again!

She is eating and drinking. Her poop is usually diarrhea like. She is thin and I do know that leghorns due to high egg production chickens do not life as long as other breeds. I am becoming very familiar with illnesses and can treat most of them ahead of time. I knew inevitably she wouldn't last long ,but she has made it another year with me draining her twice comfortably. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something else. This site has been a huge support system and can't thank everyone who answers all my questions through these last 4 years enough! I have learned alot. Lost some chickens, saved others with your help. 54 chickens. All different breeds. They are pets and a hobby and of course the eggs are the best. Thank you again!
Yes usually at this point they have dark green diarrhea. Sounds like you have done about all you can with her. You have done well by her and your flock, she is obviously in good hands. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom