Ascitis? Please help

Still dripping liquid... but she shows interest in feed should I try to do anything with her vent?

so this girl is between 3-5, crawling with lice and has bad scaly leg mites. Her abdomen is swollen but feels kind of hard, nasty runny poops she is straining to get out. I have trimmed but feathers and did a warm soak... currently drying her for the night. She’s leaking liquid... what do I do next. @aart i think this is the water ballon sort of thing you mentioned when I was asking about Tippie’s lash eggs. I don’t know what to do or how to help this...View attachment 1654337View attachment 1654338View attachment 1654339View attachment 1654340
@Wyorp Rock @coach723

So many chickens in such poor shape... I have about 30 minutes left for working with her... then I will need a solid shower and change of clothes before I go to put my girls to bed
You really run yourself ragged with that flock you are working with. The poor girls. I admire your determination to help them.
Good luck with everything. :hugs

This hen looks like a couple that I had with either ascites or internal laying, or both. They liced with those large distended bellies for a couple of years. I usually let them be—no attempted draining, no baths, and just let them be. If they stop eating and drinking, or begin to get picked on, then I put them down. Is this hen eating and drinking okay? Is her crop emptying overnight? I would doubt that she is laying, but do you know when she last laid? They sometimes develop crop problems due to the pressure on organs from the fluid or internal laying. Sometimes that will hasten their being put down. Unfortunately many laying hens develop reproductive disorders, and it can be difficult to successfully treat them. I try to keep them with their friends, keep them eating with chopped egg if they lose their appetites, and put them down if they appear to be suffering.

If they stop eating and drinking, or begin to get picked on, then I put them down.
Yes, This^^^

Sorry, I was so short with my earlier response.
I do the isolation thing(see below)and if they are not eating/drinking/pooping well, down they go.
Usually by the time I isolate they are already acting way off anyway and it's merely for confirmation. I have a couple birds that are slightly swollen, but otherwise acting fine.

Isolation blurb......
I'd isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so you can closely monitor their intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and their poops. Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

If it feels firm then the odds are salpingitis or internal laying. If it's water filled then ascites (which can also accompany the above conditions, and others). In the interest of time I'm going to refer you to this recent thread with a similar situation, more info than I have time to put down right this minute. :oops: Birds that develop this for the most part will eventually succumb or have to be culled to prevent unnecessary suffering. I've had them last for nearly two years, but have also had them pass quite quickly.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/swollen-abdomen.1289236/

So the coop is too small to put a crate in it. I tried putting Tippie in the coop, but she was getting pecked more than I’m comfortable with, so she now has a roommate, this is the best I can do ATM. They are both just outside the coop in a dog crate, and seem to be getting on just fine. She’s still a little puffy and hunched but is a bit more alert... I hope that Tippie doesn’t re-catch the leg mites. Still waiting on the enrofloxacin for her for the lash egg (so far no more!)

Open to more suggestions and observations... and I will read up on the links. Thanks again for the quick responses and support. I just had to shower, cause I caught some of the lice heading towards MY hair! I know the little buggers don’t live on people, but ewww, crawlies.

Back
Top Bottom