1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

asils or asells

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by panner123, Apr 28, 2007.

1. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Can someone tell me anything about this breed . Why would someone pay $100 per egg for this breed?

2. prariechiken

prariechiken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    Midwest
    Poor layers, hens tend to go broody soon after starting to lay. Rare fowl in the US, especially show quality types. Quite popular in Europe and the UK in the show circuits. Crosses of these were used to develope the cornish fowl we eat so many of today. Better question would be, why does any of us spend the money we do on these birds of ours... Like cars, no matter what we all spend on them, they still just get us from here to there, same with chickens, if someone can get that much for an egg, more power to em, I would just think that that would be an egg you would have to eat real slow.....LOL...

3. risingstarpoultry

risingstarpoultry Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    That is to much money to get started in asils,They will lay up a nest and hatch it,and make great mothers. But they do best if not pened up real closely. some of the hens will hatch 3 nests a year,as soon as the chicks are started and have tail and wing feathers there mothers will start a new nest. O and the hens will fight a hawk off of there chicks just seen it happen about a month ago.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Personally I'm curious where you'd find Asils that sold for that much.

They're rare and unusual, yes. They're an old breed, yes. They're intelligent, hardy, super broodies and super foragers, yes. But they're also poor layers, they don't lay any special color of egg, they aren't super-rare, they aren't super meat birds, and they sadly aren't popular.

High prices are because of what it takes to raise them as well as their rarity and the value of certain lines, but $100 per egg - That's pretty rare to see.

5. josh44

josh44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2008
    San Antonio Texas
    What the heck !!! $100 for an egg [​IMG]

Where is this breeder from ?

6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Raising birds can be pretty expensive. I don't think $100 for an egg from exactly the right lines and the right breeder is really that much money. When you think you can buy an entire box of chicks for $100 from a cheap source and put months into raising them, and then have to cull all of them. So a couple hundred dollars to end up with exactly nothing. $100 to get what you want seems OK to me.

I'd rather pay more than the $100 to buy a juvenile bird, and then I'd really be getting what I want. Hatching eggs are too much of a gamble for me, personally, to spend that much money. But there are a lot of people out there with more money to spend than I've got. There are also people out there who are a lot more confident than I am about their talents at hatching eggs.

7. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    By the way, I'm curious. Why do you think that eggs are selling for $100 in this breed?

8. prariechiken

prariechiken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    Midwest
    An egg is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it... You know what they say, fools and their money...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by