Ask a chef

Pics
Organic Spelt sourdough bred from today!

Last edited:
am defrosting the Ribeyes.... 

ok now i am hungry.  What is the difference between pepperoni with nitrates or not

how long do they keep without or with

deb

Technically nitrates should only effect color, and perserving time. At least thats what the package will tell you anway.

Also just found this from a quick search

Manufacturers add nitrates and nitrites to foods such as cured sandwich meats, bacon, salami or sausages to give them color and to prolong their shelf life. When added to processed foods in this way, both nitrates and nitrites can form nitrosamines in the body, which can increase your risk of developing cancer.Jun 23, 2015

It is the best bred for your family!
Only 4 ingredients
Spelt flour
Spelt sourdough
Salt
Water
Next time when you buy a commercial bred look at the list of ingredients I think that will convince you to restart baking!

My bread recipe is about the same unless im sprucing it up,
Lucky to have a decent health food store local that bakes if im not feeling up to it.

It is the best bred for your family!
Only 4 ingredients
Spelt flour
Spelt sourdough
Salt
Water
Next time when you buy a commercial bred look at the list of ingredients I think that will convince you to restart baking!

My bread recipe is about the same unless im sprucing it up,
Lucky to have a decent health food store local that bakes if im not feeling up to it.

:thumbsup

Technically nitrates should only effect color, and perserving time. At least thats what the package will tell you anway.

Also just found this from a quick search

Manufacturers add nitrates and nitrites to foods such as cured sandwich meats, bacon, salami or sausages to give them color and to prolong their shelf life. When added to processed foods in this way, both nitrates and nitrites can form nitrosamines in the body, which can increase your risk of developing cancer.Jun 23, 2015

When I worked at the deli we sold some deli meats that were nitrate free but contained the other. They didn't last long. Always told people to eat it the same day it was cut. It cost a lot more too... But what do you do.... It was the better option both in taste and nutrition.

Everything causes cancer, you just have to live long enough to get it.
Use moderation, know that you should not live off of pepperoni, but go ahead get it on your pizza.
I avoid processed food, that said, I love a ham sandwich every once in a while.

What was it that Ben Franklin said? use moderation in all things, including moderation.

Back
Top Bottom