Ask a chef

Pics
Quote:
I definately have a smoker on the list. but a drier would be easier made here. Our humidity stays in the low 20s High teens. so all Id have to do is provide air ciruclation and bug protection...

If I ever get my own garden going it will be mostly fruit trees and hydroponics. I may even do some raised beds if I can figure out how to keep out the wild life. Most gardens here are enclosed and look like chicken runs. Wire all over and down under the ground. But I have seen raised beds made with cattle panels.... I could do that.... anything i can roll a wheel chair up to. Not there yet but will be eventually. so i am planning for the possiblity

deb

I like hard salami  with the pepper around it.... but I buy it already sliced packages to have with swiss and fruit...  and you are right a little goes a long way.

I am just seeing packages of different kinds of sausages that say '"No Nitrates" or "Nitrate free"   I just wanted to know what the impact is to the shelf life.

for what its worth Here is a recipe for making Corned beef:

http://ruhlman.com/2010/03/corned-beef-how-to-cure-your-own/

towards the bottom in the comments someone said she did it without the pink salt and it tastes the same just doesnt have that color.

Then another commented why stop there why not make Pastrami too.....  instead of cooking it in the spices you roll it in pepper and herbs and smoke it.

I know i sound like a broken record because  I talk about doing stuff but never do it.   the barrier here is this isnt my house.  I want to learn as much about this stuff for when I move home.    At home I will barely have telephone much less internet.   Books are all good but.... 

When I get up there I will be almost off grid.  the nearest grocery store will be sixty miles away.   So my best bet is to buy enough beef to last me a year and freeze it or preserve it some how.   In order to get frozen foods up there I have to Bring a couple of coolers down

thats why I am also reading up on home preserving.....  Veggies meat fish ...  and I want to make my own dogfood from trimmings.

Because when i move up there I will be living on social security and what ever online jobs I can get.

deb

A food dryer is a good option! A smoker is another good one.

I definately have a smoker on the list.   but a drier would be easier made here.   Our humidity stays in the low 20s  High teens.  so all Id have to do is provide air ciruclation and bug protection...

If I ever get my own garden going it will be mostly fruit trees and hydroponics.   I may even do some raised beds if I can figure out how to keep out the wild life.   Most gardens here are enclosed and look like chicken runs.  Wire all over and down under the ground.    But I have seen raised beds made with cattle panels....  I could do that....  anything i can roll a wheel chair up to.   Not there yet but will be eventually. so i am planning for the possiblity

deb

You are a very brave person.

Quote: @Akrnaf2 not brave stubborn. and really dont like living with other people.

I have eighteen acres of desert that is my heart and soul. (7.28 ha) The land is in a place where the earth breathes. hot and charged from the true desert from the east and hot and full of Iodine coming from the west and the Pacific..... I have sat in the yard and watched clouds being generated by the rocks in the pictures below.... Like a smoke signal from ancient Native Americans that live and touched the land. Call me a spook but I have seen spirit walk through my living room treading on the true ground moving in some task that only memory can generate.

And I cant live there.... family obligations.

house and immediate existing fencing the big white structure is the Shade structure for my horse its 24 x 24 feet or 7.3 x 7.3 meters

whole property boundary its ELL shaped

Entry is getting shabby.... sigh

view from my drive

It is 1.5 miles from paved roads and 2.0 miles from the Mexican border... the land is Covered with medicinals therefore I wont be cross fencing for livestock except in the immediate area around the house.

Right now I have a horse being cared for by a neighbor that I dont get to see very often. thats Me and her... at a big horse show back in 2002.

deb

just made cheesburger salad....
droolin.gif
all ingredients for a cheesburger but chunked up in a bowl and dressing made from A1....

deb

----- I definately have a smoker on the list. but a drier would be easier made here. Our humidity stays in the low 20s High teens. so all Id have to do is provide air ciruclation and bug protection... If I ever get my own garden going it will be mostly fruit trees and hydroponics. I may even do some raised beds if I can figure out how to keep out the wild life. Most gardens here are enclosed and look like chicken runs. Wire all over and down under the ground. But I have seen raised beds made with cattle panels.... I could do that.... anything i can roll a wheel chair up to. Not there yet but will be eventually. so i am planning for the possiblity deb
You are a very brave person.
@Akrnaf2 not brave stubborn. and really dont like living with other people. I have eighteen acres of desert that is my heart and soul. (7.28 ha) The land is in a place where the earth breathes. hot and charged from the true desert from the east and hot and full of Iodine coming from the west and the Pacific..... I have sat in the yard and watched clouds being generated by the rocks in the pictures below.... Like a smoke signal from ancient Native Americans that live and touched the land. Call me a spook but I have seen spirit walk through my living room treading on the true ground moving in some task that only memory can generate. And I cant live there.... family obligations. house and immediate existing fencing the big white structure is the Shade structure for my horse its 24 x 24 feet or 7.3 x 7.3 meters whole property boundary its ELL shaped Entry is getting shabby.... sigh view from my drive It is 1.5 miles from paved roads and 2.0 miles from the Mexican border... the land is Covered with medicinals therefore I wont be cross fencing for livestock except in the immediate area around the house. Right now I have a horse being cared for by a neighbor that I dont get to see very often. thats Me and her... at a big horse show back in 2002. deb
You are a free spirit , being caged by reality. ..

@Akrnaf2 not brave stubborn. and really dont like living with other people.

I have eighteen acres of desert that is my heart and soul. (7.28 ha) The land is in a place where the earth breathes. hot and charged from the true desert from the east and hot and full of Iodine coming from the west and the Pacific..... I have sat in the yard and watched clouds being generated by the rocks in the pictures below.... Like a smoke signal from ancient Native Americans that live and touched the land. Call me a spook but I have seen spirit walk through my living room treading on the true ground moving in some task that only memory can generate.

And I cant live there.... family obligations.

house and immediate existing fencing the big white structure is the Shade structure for my horse its 24 x 24 feet or 7.3 x 7.3 meters

whole property boundary its ELL shaped

Entry is getting shabby.... sigh

view from my drive

It is 1.5 miles from paved roads and 2.0 miles from the Mexican border... the land is Covered with medicinals therefore I wont be cross fencing for livestock except in the immediate area around the house.

Right now I have a horse being cared for by a neighbor that I dont get to see very often. thats Me and her... at a big horse show back in 2002.

deb
Your words about the desert remind me of 2 fiction authors you might enjoy. Nevada Barr writes the Anna Pigeon series set in various national parks, and Alexander McCall Smith is the author of the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series set in Botswana and the Kalahari desert. The main characters might feel like kindred spirits to you.

Your words about the desert remind me of 2 fiction authors you might enjoy. Nevada Barr writes the Anna Pigeon series set in various national parks, and Alexander McCall Smith is the author of the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series set in Botswana and the Kalahari desert. The main characters might feel like kindred spirits to you.
This desert is part of the Sonoran desert. I write anecdotal stories about the colorful people critters and environment up there. But my passion and the two books I have in Draft form is Science Fiction. I am coming up on my first rewrite then it will be ready for review by people who know and like me..... (following Stephen Kings formula for writing ) then I will do an official second draft and send it off to an editor.

I hope to ePublish when I am ready .... we will see.

deb

Quote:
This desert is part of the Sonoran desert. I write anecdotal stories about the colorful people critters and environment up there. But my passion and the two books I have in Draft form is Science Fiction. I am coming up on my first rewrite then it will be ready for review by people who know and like me..... (following Stephen Kings formula for writing ) then I will do an official second draft and send it off to an editor.

I hope to ePublish when I am ready .... we will see.

deb

Sounds great! Good luck to you.

Brave, stubborn, driven. Whatever you want to call it @perchie.girl you and your property are an inspiration. A joke was made about my location being plumb and 40th, middle of nowhere basically, but I've got it pretty good, you truely will be "up The mountain".
Continue to inspire and be inspired, and please never stop sharing your food.

A.

Back
Top Bottom