Ask a chef

Pics
Ok I have a dumb question....

I found three ribeye steaks in the back of the freezer.   They need to be cooked.

I am finding lately that I dont do so well with defrosted meat of any kind.  

Is there a trick or technique to ensure they will be Juicy, tender once I get them defrosted?

How do you defrost steaks in a restaurant...

deb
we cut our steaks fresh at work ;) but if there is something that needs to be thawed quickly we do what's called a power thaw and keep it in a basin with running cold water.
As far as cooking the steak goes, most people tend to over cook meat. That can be a culprit in and of its own. If your meat is freezer burned it will always be tough and dry. Consider using them in a stew or soup.

A.

Quote:
a fresh room temperature steak I got it.... and no I dont over cook. unless ordered to ..... mom likes her steaks well done... if she sees pink on the plate she complains that its all bloody.

The rest of us like medium rare. I can eat a steak very rare as long as its not cold in the middle...

I do the defrost in ice water deal. slip the steak in a bag then lay it in a casserole dish and run cold water on it...

It takes three days to defrost things in the refrigerator.
th.gif

so I am not doing anything wrong just keeping stuff too long in the freezer.

deb

a fresh room temperature steak I got it....   and no I dont over cook.  unless ordered to ..... mom likes her steaks well done... if she sees pink on the plate she complains that its all bloody.

The rest of us like medium rare.   I can eat a steak very rare as long as its not cold in the middle...

I do the defrost in ice water deal.  slip the steak in a bag then lay it in a casserole dish and run cold water on it...

It takes three days to defrost things in the refrigerator.  :th

so I am not doing anything wrong  just keeping stuff too long in the freezer.

deb

It happens to the best of us but it can still make great stew!!!!

a fresh room temperature steak I got it....   and no I dont over cook.  unless ordered to ..... mom likes her steaks well done... if she sees pink on the plate she complains that its all bloody.

The rest of us like medium rare.   I can eat a steak very rare as long as its not cold in the middle...

I do the defrost in ice water deal.  slip the steak in a bag then lay it in a casserole dish and run cold water on it...

It takes three days to defrost things in the refrigerator.  :th

so I am not doing anything wrong  just keeping stuff too long in the freezer.

deb
not doing anything wrong, just consider that a steak out of the freezer after a week or more isn't going to taste the same as one fresh. Even with a good cryovac machine, stored food still only has an x amount of shelf life, even in the freezer.
I dont generally keep much meat in the freezer at home, ground beef, bacon, some nice sausages from the local deli but I try and plan on cooking most proteins within a few nights of purchase so nothing makes it to the freezer.

A.

not doing anything wrong, just consider that a steak out of the freezer after a week or more isn't going to taste the same as one fresh. Even with a good cryovac machine, stored food still only has an x amount of shelf life, even in the freezer.
I dont generally keep much meat in the freezer at home, ground beef, bacon, some nice sausages from the local deli but I try and plan on cooking most proteins within a few nights of purchase so nothing makes it to the freezer.

A.

I do the same. Low cost meats I will freeze. Others I buy fresh when I can... It does require a lot of shopping though. Especially my seafood... Hard to buy frozen when you can get the fresh down the road.

The best stake preparing technique IMO
I always prefer to grill it on a charcoal grill, but if I want to do it on a pan this my MO:
You slightly salt the stake, you heat a nice heavy pan and you put in it a very very thin lay of oil.
When the oil is exta hot you put the stake in and you flip it every 15 seconds! This is very important!
When the fat became brown, ( it's need 2 minutes, depending on the size of course! To medium rare ) I take it out, let it
Rest for 2 minutes, cut it to slices and adding salt and black pepper, nothing else!

The best stake preparing technique IMO
I always prefer to grill it on a charcoal grill, but if I want to do it on a pan this my MO:
You slightly salt the stake, you heat a nice heavy pan and you put in it a very very thin lay of oil.
When the oil is exta hot you put the stake in and you flip it every 15 seconds! This is very important!
When the fat became brown, ( it's need 2 minutes, depending on the size of course! To medium rare ) I take it out, let it
Rest for 2 minutes, cut it to slices and adding salt and black pepper, nothing else!

I've got to try that cause that is contrary to everything I have learned!!!!!!!

A.

I do the same. Low cost meats I will freeze. Others I buy fresh when I can... It does require a lot of shopping though. Especially my seafood... Hard to buy frozen when you can get the fresh down the road.

Linda when you have a 17 years old tornado, that vacuum cleans the fridge, you really need to do a LOT of shopping!
Belive me I know it first hand! :lau

Back
Top Bottom