Ask me some hard chicken questions!

Discussion in 'Games, Jokes, and Fun!' started by tinychicky, Mar 29, 2012.

1. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    Hey guys, I have a 4-H show on Saturday and I've exhausted all my study guides. Ask me some hard chicken/general poultry questions please, any topic!

2. K-12 Chickens

K-12 Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Hmmmm....

1. What is the organ that stores food right after a chicken eats and later passes it to the digestive system?

2. What is the organ that grinds up food with small pebbles and stones that a chicken has ate?

3. My chicken's legs' scales are peeling and falling off. What is wrong with my chicken?

3. Symphony

Symphony Vanilla, Little Airt Airt

# 1 is not an organ.

# 2 is not an organ

They are both muscles.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  4. TechnoCat

TechnoCat Overrun With Chickens

Nov 20, 2011
    Wherever Angel is~
    1# What is the name of the disease (at least I THINK it's a disease) where an egg gets trapped in a hen's body?

2# What is the stage of a chick in an egg on Day 1 called?

3# Why do some chickens go broody?

5. K-12 Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Michigan

6. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    1. the crop
    2. isn't it the same thing as 1? grit doesn't go to the gizzard, it goes to the crop.=, although I think you mean gizzard
    3. scaly leg mite. You can treat this by spraying or dusting your chicken's legs with seven powder or liquid, or you can first dip the birds legs in gasoline or i believe kerosene, then coat them in Vaseline to suffocate the mites.

4. Egg binding. You can relieve this by soaking the hen's vent area in warm water for about 15 minutes. applying some olive oil to the vent and inner cloaca can help lubricate the end of the oviduct enough for the egg to slip through. in extreme cases, surgery or culling may be necessary for the well being of the bird.
    5. Embryo stage?
    6. Some breeds go broody because their natural instinct to reproduce their own kind tell them to. Some breeds like production leghorns have been bred to reduce or eliminate broodiness entirely. Some breeds, especially silkies, cochins and gamefowl are particularly good sitters.

Come on people, HARD questions!

7. TechnoCat

Nov 20, 2011
    Wherever Angel is~
    Correct, but it is egg bound ;) You were right about the second and third.

1# If there is no rooster around, what is a hen's instinct to do?

8. K-12 Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Michigan

But don't chickens eat grit to help their gizzard grind up food? The crop is just kind of a place to hold food, I'm assuming, right?

9. TechnoCat

Nov 20, 2011
    Wherever Angel is~
    I mix up grit in my girls food to help them grind up food. (Yes, I only have two chickens.)

10. Lovely Emily

Lovely Emily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2012
    What is the Difference between Breed and Landrace?
    List some Breeds.
    List some Landraces.
    How many genetic tribes of true Bow Lake fowl are there? (Okay, even if you could know that, it doesn't have an officially sanctioned answer, so don't bother with it) :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by