Ask me some hard chicken questions!

highfive.gif
GOOD JOB!!!

1: What disease causes a chickens mind to paralyze where functions of it become paralyzed until its dead?
Botulism.
2: Is the disease in question 1 can it be treated after a chicken gets it, or do you have to treat it before it gets in your flock?
Lymphoid leukosis is a form of cancer and cannot be treated although you can reduce the risk of this disease by buying genetically resistant stock, keeping pests down, raising chicks away from adult birds, general good management, etc.
3: My chicken is egg bound, how do I help her?!
Soak her vent area in a warm water bath for about 15 minutes then lubricate the vent and inside the cloaca with olive or baby oil to help the egg slip out.
4: All of my hens have bald spots on their spots, I have 3 hens and a rooster, do I have mites?! Is it a disease (simple one, if you paid attention. :p )
Your rooster is pulling out the hens feathers with his claws and beak when he treads them. This can be stopped by beak trimming, use of specs, application of hen saddles, use of distractions such as whole hay bales, dust baths, hanging cabbages or old CD’s, etc, and /or increasing the number of hens to give the cock more girls to focus on.

not that I'm saying your wrong, since I might be, but i was refferring to Mareks..
gig.gif

well i learned something new
gig.gif

cool, you really DO know your chicken smarts!! keep it up
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
1# If there is no rooster around, what is a hen's instinct to do? One hen will become dominant and take on the role of a rooster. She may cease laying, crow and even attempt to breed the other hens. In rare cases her body may start to produce male hormones, switching her gender.
What is the Difference between Breed and Landrace?
Breeds are recognized birds that are uniform in traits and all look similar. They have been developed to look a certain way by dedicated breeders Landrace are unrecognized fowls that are less constant in conformation and type. Often they were not bred intentionally to look exactly the way they do (excluding those traits related to produciton abilities, such as body size), but have developed different strains by being isolated from other flocks of birds. They have been selected for their production and foraging qualities both naturally and artificially.
List some Breeds.
Belgian bearded D’Anvers, Black Minorca, Barred Holland, Lamona
List some Landraces.
Icelandics, Swedish flower hens, Hedemora, Basque hens
How many genetic tribes of true Bow Lake fowl are there? (Okay, even if you could know that, it doesn't have an officially sanctioned answer, so don't bother with it) :p
The only thing I know about Bow Lake fowl is that they are hen spurred
roll.png

# 1. Which disease has symptoms of water in a chickens abdomen and the right side of their heart swells up?
Lymphoid leukosis?
1: What disease causes a chickens mind to paralyze where functions of it become paralyzed until its dead?
Botulism.
2: Is the disease in question 1 can it be treated after a chicken gets it, or do you have to treat it before it gets in your flock?
Lymphoid leukosis is a form of cancer and cannot be treated although you can reduce the risk of this disease by buying genetically resistant stock, keeping pests down, raising chicks away from adult birds, general good management, etc.
3: My chicken is egg bound, how do I help her?!
Soak her vent area in a warm water bath for about 15 minutes then lubricate the vent and inside the cloaca with olive or baby oil to help the egg slip out.
4: All of my hens have bald spots on their spots, I have 3 hens and a rooster, do I have mites?! Is it a disease (simple one, if you paid attention. :p )
Your rooster is pulling out the hens feathers with his claws and beak when he treads them. This can be stopped by beak trimming, use of specs, application of hen saddles, use of distractions such as whole hay bales, dust baths, hanging cabbages or old CD’s, etc, and /or increasing the number of hens to give the cock more girls to focus on.

# 2. Explain how a chicken can switch gender.
When a flock has no rooster, a hen will take the dominant position. She may crow, tread the hens, cease laying, and in rare cases begin to produce male hormones.
What is the name of a castrated rooster?
A capon
What color is my favourite chicken?
Ummmm….

All of your answers to my Q's were correct, except for the last two.... the answers are...

How many genetic tribes of true Bow Lake fowl are there?
6 (Partridge, Crele, Bronze, Cuckoo, Blackcoal, and Cornelia)

What color?
BBRed. Her name is Mary. She sits on my shoulder like a parrot! :D

Cool, good to know!

All of your answers to my Q's were correct, except for the last two.... the answers are...

How many genetic tribes of true Bow Lake fowl are there?
6 (Partridge, Crele, Bronze, Cuckoo, Blackcoal, and Cornelia)

What color?
BBRed. Her name is Mary. She sits on my shoulder like a parrot! :D

Shetland duck Q: hmmm i don't know this one either, but since you said vikings, Iceland? Greenland? you'll have to tell me the answer :)

leghorn Q: 10, White, buff, black, red, black tailed red, silver, golden, columbian, light brown, and dark brown, are recognized by the ASOP. A number of other varieties including jubilee, exchequer, pyle, and barred also exist.

meatbird Q: Cornish/Rock crosses from specific production strains can, and I believe some broad breasted turkeys (probably mostly whites) as well. I don't think any waterfowl can though...they aren't as overbred as chickens and turkeys.

Back
Top Bottom