Ask me some hard chicken questions!

Marek's causes a form of paralysis, usually of the legs or wings. that is not, however, the only symptom, nor is it the only possible strain or the disease that can effect chickens. Botulism progressivly paralysis the body from the toes upward until the major internal organs (heart, brain, lungs) are paralysed and the bird dies. it is brought on by rotting plants and animals and may be stopped if caught early enough by us of a molasses or epsom salt flush.
thumbsup.gif

not that I'm saying your wrong, since I might be, but i was refferring to Mareks..
gig.gif

well i learned something new
gig.gif

cool, you really DO know your chicken smarts!! keep it up
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Marek's causes a form of paralysis, usually of the legs or wings. that is not, however, the only symptom, nor is it the only possible strain or the disease that can effect chickens. Botulism progressivly paralysis the body from the toes upward until the major internal organs (heart, brain, lungs) are paralysed and the bird dies. it is brought on by rotting plants and animals and may be stopped if caught early enough by us of a molasses or epsom salt flush.
thumbsup.gif
LOL, cool, well appearantly i descirbed a disease ive never heard of
gig.gif

How many types of feather patterns are there? (lacing, etc)

What is the conservation status of the Lakenvelder?

The tips of my rooster's comb have turned black and are starting to fall off. What is wrong with my rooster?

Thanks for your help everyone! I placed first in my senior experienced showmanship class, then took grand champ in premier showmanship (champs and reserves in all classes compete) and reserve super grand champ overall with my wheaten ameraucana cock for breed class! Keep the q's coming, they're good practice. Also, feel free to answer any q's yourself, peeps! It's a good learning experience for all!

1- Umm... a lot. There isn't really a good way to answer this question as there are simply too many varieties, and each color within a pattern may vary the pattern slightly. Then there are sort of stand alone colors like dun and red that don't excatly fit into any catagory. I'll name a few though.
Self, laced, partridge, quail, duckwing, pencilled, double laced, multiple laced, multiple pencilled, splash, jubilee, mottled, columbian, lakenvelder patterned, barred, cuckoo, birchen.

2- Threatened
3- This is likely frostbite. You can apply vasaline to the comb to help insulate it and prevent infection. Another possiblity is that his comb has been injured or torn in some way by either other chickens or by a sharp peice of wire, etc.

How many types of feather patterns are there? (lacing, etc)
I read this question last night and shuddered at what you were putting tinychicken up to. There are oer 2,500 color varities, but if you get rid of the considerations of Groundcolor and Basecolor, there are only 140 patterns.

I read this question last night and shuddered at what you were putting tinychicken up to. There are oer 2,500 color varities, but if you get rid of the considerations of Groundcolor and Basecolor, there are only 140 patterns.

I mostly meant the most basic feather patterns, if there is such thing.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom