Asking for your thoughts

If they drink the Epsom salt it can make them have runny poop since it’s also a laxative. If you gently put them in the pool will they then bathe or do they freak out?
No, I’m always careful that they don’t drink the epsom salt water.
Yes! They still freak out and start panting and struggling to jump out of the tub🤦🏻‍♀️ I tried adding lettuce or peas to their pool so they try to enjoy it but they still jump out of it. I know they’re weirdest ducks ever

Last edited:
Poor babies. Maybe shallow pans with enough water for them to get fully wet? Some use rubber feeds bowls they come in various sizes or something you may have laying around I use cement mixing tubs during the winter for my flock since our spring freezes it gives them a way to bath and isn’t deep

I think that's the problem, Ducks need to bathe full body in water frequently or they are going to end up with problems like you have listed.
Chicken feed or duck feed should make up most of there diet. Treats should only be given on occasion. Could you post a picture of them so we know how bad they look?It sounds like they are more than likely suffering from wet feather.
Before I adopted them ,they underwent a trauma with water when they were ducklings. I purchased different pools and tried so many ways in the past two years , and still no progress. I bathe them gently every other days in the tub.
They have access to chicken food 24/7

These are some pictures of them. Sorry it took long, poor connection.

Attachments

• 50C097D5-E22F-4CF0-A030-160EA500015E.jpeg
    50C097D5-E22F-4CF0-A030-160EA500015E.jpeg
    576.2 KB · Views: 8
  • A8B17E87-E911-421D-A6E4-16CD9A52CED0.png
    A8B17E87-E911-421D-A6E4-16CD9A52CED0.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 8
Poor babies. Maybe shallow pans with enough water for them to get fully wet? Some use rubber feeds bowls they come in various sizes or something you may have laying around I use cement mixing tubs during the winter for my flock since our spring freezes it gives them a way to bath and isn’t deep
Winter here is not too cold and the water never freezes so they still have their pool everyday (they just don’t swim in it), they use the water for preening and ducking their head in the pool though.
I bathe them regularly and they’re clean most of the time.

They don't look very well. :(

Looks like they do have wet feather and it looks like there is mucus around their eye's too. To there protest i would put them in a kiddie pool with shallow water only about 3 or 4 inches,If you need to put wire around so they cant escape do so, Of course, watch them in case anything goes wrong.

I think putting them in a pool frequenting even to there dismay may help them get used to swimming. Plain and simple duck should be able bath and preen themselves, there is a reason they are called waterfowl. I don't think bathing them a few times a week is enough they need to learn to do it themselves.

Can you feel there Oil gland on the back and feel for any oily secretion. It can get clogged sometimes due to lack of water. It's just a little bump

Picture
1581956920292.png

They don't look very well. :(

Looks like they do have wet feather and it looks like there is mucus around their eye's too. To there protest i would put them in a kiddie pool with shallow water only about 3 or 4 inches,If you need to put wire around so they cant escape do so, Of course, watch them in case anything goes wrong.

I think putting them in a pool frequenting even to there dismay may help them get used to swimming. Plain and simple duck should be able bath and preen themselves, there is a reason they are called waterfowl. I don't think bathing them a few times a week is enough they need to learn to do it themselves.

Can you feel there Oil gland on the back and feel for any oily secretion. It can get clogged sometimes due to lack of water. It's just a little bump

Picture
View attachment 2028505
Daisy(my rouen) has that mucus thing around her eyes, A vet once said it might be something with her sinus and prescribed a special antibiotics and an eye drop. It goes away and again comes back😞
They act so crazy when it comes to pools and tub, as soon as I put them in the water their heart beats so fast and they start panting that’s why I’m really afraid to force them to stay in the pool given their reactions.
Their oil glands look fine, I make sure to clean it everytime they’re in the tub.

Daisy(my rouen) has that mucus thing around her eyes, A vet once said it might be something with her sinus and prescribed a special antibiotics and an eye drop. It goes away and again comes back😞
They act so crazy when it comes to pools and tub, as soon as I put them in the water their heart beats so fast and they start panting that’s why I’m really afraid to force them to stay in the pool given their reactions.
Their oil glands look fine, I make sure to clean it everytime they’re in the tub.

Sorry, you are having so many problems with them!

You have the best judgement with them so if you don't think they would react well in a pool don't put them in. I realize you bathe them every week but they obviously have some health problems related to lack of water/preening/diet. I would focus on ways to (slowly) incorporate regular preening and bathing habits into there life.

Is that one of you're ducks swimming in the pool(Avatar picture)

Sorry, you are having so many problems with them!

You have the best judgement with them so if you don't think they would react well in a pool don't put them in. I realize you bathe them every week but they obviously have some health problems related to lack of water/preening/diet. I would focus on ways to (slowly) incorporate regular preening and bathing habits into there life.

Is that one of you're ducks swimming in the pool(Avatar picture)
Thank you, I will surely try new approachs to make them love swimming.
Yes, that was a one time thing. We went on a picnic, there was a big pool I put them in the water and they didn’t panic for once!

Back
Top Bottom