Aspen bedding

dreamwallaby

Songster
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Camden County NJ
I am getting my first chickies in just a few weeks and I am soooo excited. They will be about 3 weeks old, EEs. So my questions ~

I use Aspen bedding for my reptiles (yes I own snakes, no they wont be near the chicks
wink.png
) Is it okay to use the Aspen bedding with the chicks?? I didn't see it being used in any pics I saw, but I like it because it is alot less dusty and doesn't stir up as much so hopefully that will help keep it outta the feed.

I am going to start them in a rubbermaid container, any idea what size I need ?? they will be outside on any nice days and in the container at night, or poor weather days. What is an okay temp to be outside?

What temp will I need to keep them at in the container at this age?

I think that's it for now
Thank you !!

Quote:
Three week old chicks will need a temp of at least 80ºF, reducing their ambient air temperature by 5ºF each week until it's about 65-70ºF. Additional information on chick care can be obtained here. Additionally, you really don't want to take them outside for any length of time until their much older, maybe short trips at age 4 weeks or more. Mine are now 6 weeks old and I'm just considering a short trip under heavy observation, otherwise hawks will get them. I don't know how many chicks you're getting, but you will need about 3/4 sq. ft. per chick in their brooder at their age.

My chicks have been on aspen bedding since day two, it's worked fine.

For what it's worth, my hens hated aspen bedding in their nestboxes and much prefered the pine shavings. They're softer.

I've gone to using aspen, because I developed a sensitivity to pine. I've noticed that there can be a difference in aspen shavings, just like there can be a difference in pine shavings. I had some aspen that was really coarse a few years ago, but the stuff I get now is finer and softer. Sometimes people end up with pine that's really dusty or smells very strongly, too. I guess all you can do if you get poorer quality shavings is shop around or change what you are using.

I have aspen shavings in with my little ones, with paper towels over so that they won't ingest them. I'll switch to pure aspen at about 4 weeks (did this last time around, seems to work well).

If you can get good aspen it will work fine. A lot of aspen is sharp and splintery so it makes rather uncomfortable bedding. Some of it though is as soft or softer than pine shavings.

Back
Top Bottom