Assisted Hatch Question - Help!

Update. I tried to peel back a little more of the membrane and some of the shell away. It looks to me like her foot is over her head, poor kid. I put her back in the incubator for a little break (for both of us - so stressful!) to see if she's able to finish it herself. Once I had her out of the incubator, she started chirping quite a bit and was still trying to kick herself free.

In total, we are about 28-30 hours post external pip.

Attachments

• Snapchat-43546673.jpg
    Snapchat-43546673.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 47
Update. I tried to peel back a little more of the membrane and some of the shell away. It looks to me like her foot is over her head, poor kid. I put her back in the incubator for a little break (for both of us - so stressful!) to see if she's able to finish it herself. Once I had her out of the incubator, she started chirping quite a bit and was still trying to kick herself free.

In total, we are about 28-30 hours post external pip.
snapchat-43546673-jpg.3404321

Almost there! That foot-over-the-head malposition makes it hard for them to hatch.

I was able to make a bigger hole in the membrane for her and then her front end just kind of slid out. I'm starting to think she pipped on the wrong end as well - on top of everything else. She's not looking so hot right now and pretty runt-ish, but, I'm hoping that's just indicative of the day she's had. She's back in the bator and we'll have to wait to see how she does. I'll keep you guys posted.

Well look who is completely out of her egg! After a little nap, she busted out completely and was stumbling around in the incubator. A little stumbly, but hoping she's just getting limbered up after being stuck twisted around in that egg for the last 30 hours or so!

PXL_20230214_040141894.jpg

She is doing great! She is on the very left in the photo. I resisted the urge to do some snowshoes based on one mild crooked toe. I really wanted her to have the best chance to get acclimated with other chicks, since she was joining them so late and I figured having some vet wrap on her feet would just be one other thing for them to peck at. She was DEFINITELY wobbly for the first 24 hours, but, is just as mobile and active as the rest of them now! I continue to be wow-ed by their resilience. There was definitely about 20-30 minutes there where she first popped out of the egg where I figured she was just going to be too weak to make it.

BUT! She was just very, very tired. So glad I decided to assist and it worked out. Thanks again to all of you for giving me some confidence to try!

Attachments

• PXL_20230217_165337741.jpg
    PXL_20230217_165337741.jpg
    390.3 KB · Views: 18

Back
Top Bottom