Assisted Hatch Question - Help!

Cerenity

Songster
Aug 14, 2019
Lodi, CA
Hey all - this is my second batch of eggs and I'm happy with the hatch rate so far. 10 ended up fertilized and one quit a couple of weeks ago, so, 9 total set for the 21 days. 8 chicks are out! The first seven came on the eve of day 21 (with a couple of over achievers who actually HATCHED on the eve of day 21). But - two eggs pipped yesterday, along with the rest and, as of this morning, still had not zipped. I was less worried about the 8th egg because that chick was in there knocking around and chirping up a storm. Sure enough, when I got home, she was out.

But, my 9th egg had made almost no progress since the initial pip. And this afternoon, still nothing. We are just past 24 hours since the pip. The external pip started to look a little gunky and yellowish, so, I did my best to try my first assist. I wrapped the egg in a warm wet paper towel and tried to peel some of the shell away. Chick is still inside and alive, but, I did not see a beak around the external pip. I pulled as much of the shell away headed towards the air sac as I dared, but, the membrane feels thick and dry, I can see why she is struggling.

She started pecking where I was messing around with my tweezers, so, I tried to work with her to make the hole in the membrane a little bigger. Once I did that, her little beak poked through and I figured that was a good start, so I put her back in the incubator with two wet paper towels to drive the humidity up. I also put some vegetable oil on the exposed pieces of membrane. The membrane still looks pretty red internally. Any of the more experienced folks want to let me know their thoughts about where to go from here? Something tells me she is malpositioned and is going to have a hard time getting out on her own.

No new progress in the 30-45 minutes or so since my assist attempt. She's just got her little beak out the hole in the membrane and opens and closes her beak every so often.

Here is a short video of her - right at the beginning, you can see her little beak move as I described:

Attachments

• PXL_20230213_211509970.jpg
    PXL_20230213_211509970.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 75
  • PXL_20230213_211444827.jpg
    PXL_20230213_211444827.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Well look who is completely out of her egg! After a little nap, she busted out completely and was stumbling around in the incubator. A little stumbly, but hoping she's just getting limbered up after being stuck twisted around in that egg for the last 30 hours or so!

PXL_20230214_040141894.jpg

She is doing great! She is on the very left in the photo. I resisted the urge to do some snowshoes based on one mild crooked toe. I really wanted her to have the best chance to get acclimated with other chicks, since she was joining them so late and I figured having some vet wrap on her feet would just be one other thing for them to peck at. She was DEFINITELY wobbly for the first 24 hours, but, is just as mobile and active as the rest of them now! I continue to be wow-ed by their resilience. There was definitely about 20-30 minutes there where she first popped out of the egg where I figured she was just going to be too weak to make it.

BUT! She was just very, very tired. So glad I decided to assist and it worked out. Thanks again to all of you for giving me some confidence to try!

Attachments

• PXL_20230217_165337741.jpg
    PXL_20230217_165337741.jpg
    390.3 KB · Views: 18
Are you familiar with the opening and closing of the beak they do when absorbing the yolk? I'm wondering if that is still happening. Also did you see any veins when when you put the oil on? It sounds like you are on the right track. Maybe open just a bit more around her beak and try to get the membrane off any places the shell is off (as long as no veins). I would keep helping bit by bit giving it a chance to make progress on its own after each small chipping.

Have you read this?
Guide to Assisted Hatching for All Poultry

Preface If you need immediate instructions on how to assist a hatch, you may skip this section and go to the next one, where the instructions are. To start with, I want to address the fact that some people think assisting during a hatch is wrong. I respect the decision to not help during a...

Have you read this?

Preface If you need immediate instructions on how to assist a hatch, you may skip this section and go to the next one, where the instructions are. To start with, I want to address the fact that some people think assisting during a hatch is wrong. I respect the decision to not help during a...
Yes, it was very helpful! I'm just not really sure where I am to gauge my next moves.

Update. I tried to peel back a little more of the membrane and some of the shell away. It looks to me like her foot is over her head, poor kid. I put her back in the incubator for a little break (for both of us - so stressful!) to see if she's able to finish it herself. Once I had her out of the incubator, she started chirping quite a bit and was still trying to kick herself free.

In total, we are about 28-30 hours post external pip.

Attachments

• Snapchat-43546673.jpg
    Snapchat-43546673.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 47

Back
Top Bottom