Assisted Hatch?

Thank you everyone for the info! priceless!. I did find the beak. It took a long long time! lots of trips back and forth from the bator to keep her warm. There is one large vein I can see this morning that doesn't seem to have got any smaller? I did find the yolk, and it is smaller this morning. She is cheeping and wriggling about, but I am not comfortable to help her out just yet because of the vein. Its nearly day 25. She's a big chick as well. I will keep her membrane moist and see how she goes over this afternoon.

Congratulations, I'm so happy you were able to find her beak! :celebrate

It sounds like a good plan of action to me, I would definitely be wary of getting her out with that vein and the yolk not being completely absorbed yet. Is she making any eating/nibbling motions with her beak? My babies often start cheeping a lot when they want out and will sharply thrust upwards with their beak repeatedly (like they would to break their shell in a normal hatch). When they start this hatching behavior sometimes they come out on their own, other times they aren't making any progress and I help them. I've definitely heard of overeager babies who want out before they are actually ready but I've been blessed to not have any of those yet. Good luck, I'm routing for her! :fl

Congratulations, I'm so happy you were able to find her beak! :celebrate

It sounds like a good plan of action to me, I would definitely be wary of getting her out with that vein and the yolk not being completely absorbed yet. Is she making any eating/nibbling motions with her beak? My babies often start cheeping a lot when they want out and will sharply thrust upwards with their beak repeatedly (like they would to break their shell in a normal hatch). When they start this hatching behavior sometimes they come out on their own, other times they aren't making any progress and I help them. I've definitely heard of overeager babies who want out before they are actually ready but I've been blessed to not have any of those yet. Good luck, I'm routing for her! :fl
Yes she's exhibiting all the signs of wanting to get out. However the membrane is drying out, even with regular dampening. I'm unsure if this will have any dire consequence for her? I will give her another three hours and see. The vein has gotten small a bit finally!

Yes she's exhibiting all the signs of wanting to get out. However the membrane is drying out, even with regular dampening. I'm unsure if this will have any dire consequence for her? I will give her another three hours and see. The vein has gotten small a bit finally!

Ah maybe she is just a little overeager, it's good that vein is shrinking, it sounds like she is very close to being ready to come out. :)

I've found the membrane dries fairly quickly with my assists too, I try to re-wet it every hour or so. I've heard coconut oil can be good but the one time I tried it for some reason it really hardened the membrane (you could snap it like a chip), the chicks were ok but I prefer water even though I have to re-apply it more often. Even with the membrane drying out quite a bit in between re-applying water I usually have very good results with the majority of assists. Most of the assists I've done haven't been the really difficult malposition ones though so there was usually less membrane exposed, hopefully it won't hurt if it gets a little dry! :fl

Bacitracin (ointment) works really well. I've never had to remoisten after using that. Awesome job finding the beak! Definitely keep an eye on the yolk sac- that's one of the bigger threats. Hopefully she just got caught in a cool spot in the incubator and that's why she's late.

One really handy tool for keeping a little warm in these situations are the microwavable 'animals' that you can put around your neck. What I do is microwave it, make it into a circle, then microwave a damp washcloth. The washcloth goes between the warmed up 'animal' and the egg, so you can have a go without risking chilling the chick. Moistening the washcloth is optional. And they're really nice for actually using on yourself!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004AP8DT6/?tag=backy-20

Ok, so she's half out of the shell. There is no yolk, and the veining was like fine hairs but there was medium sized veins right at the bottom of the egg. She lost a small amount of blood from one of those,, but nothing like what I've seen in other posts. She does look a little unusual. Her neck is longer than the other chicks, her eyes have only opened for a second and she is lying there with what seems to be a glitch/twitch happening randomly in parts of her body. Not a seizure. more like those random body jolts we get when we are falling to sleep. I really hope there isn't something wrong with her? Maybe thats why she has been so late? I'll keep her warm in the bator and hope that overnight she feels a bit better.

I wouldn't assist hatch you end up with chicks that weren't meant to hatch
Yes, that may be the case with this little one. However, I have chicks in the brooder that are doing very well that wouldn't be here if not assisted. I'm happy to take a gamble, if it means the ones that "may" live normal lives do get a chance to do so.

Yes, that may be the case with this little one. However, I have chicks in the brooder that are doing very well that wouldn't be here if not assisted. I'm happy to take a gamble, if it means the ones that "may" live normal lives do get a chance to do so.

I'm sorry to hear your little one isn't doing very well, I hope she is able to perk up. I've never had a chick hatch as late as her but I have had some that I assisted that were very weak (slept all the time and wouldn't open there eyes for more than a few seconds). I gave them a drop or two of non-flavored pedialyte every few hours and within 1-2 days they started getting better and went on to be perfectly normal adults. It's very possible she has something wrong that caused her to hatch so late and make her chances slim, I personally think it is admirable that you are giving her a chance at life. :hugs

SHE"S ALIVE! What a wonderful sight to wake up to. Shes staggering around the bator knocking eggs about. Lets hope that the next day in the warmth helps her. I might leave her in the bator for another 12-20 hours? What do you all think? Considering she's late, maybe she needs more time, but maybe she needs water and food because of her ordeal? And no twitching happening now. I REALLY hope she survives.
:love:celebrate:clap:goodpost::thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom