At 15 weeks old I can’t tell if I have hens or roosters?

There are several telltale signs that this young man is not what he was "supposed" to be ...
  • First, His comb is much brighter than those of the ladies. If you check under that beard, he's probably got some pretty pink wattles coming in, too.
  • Next - His hackle feathers (Think a lion's mane) are long and pointy. His saddle feathers (where a cowboy's saddle bags would ride) are also long. pointy and beginning to drape alongside his tail, while the feathering on his body remains rounded. . A pullet's hackles and feathers would be more consistently rounded, like those on her body.
  • Third - He has a mighty hefty set of legs on him for an Easter Egger.
  • Fourth - and the deal-sealer for me, - is the vivid red on his shoulders. Red shoulders are a male sex-linked trait in most chickens - and his are pretty prominent.

If it helps any, and you're allowed roosters, One to four isn't too bad a ratio and he should be fine. He's a very handsome fellow!

Good luck with your chickens - you have a very pretty flock ... and will have a pretty egg basket, as well - brown, blue, neat!

How can u tell from photo A that he is a cockerel?
He has large and red comb and wattles. In easter eggers, splotchy coloring is a male trait, whereas females have colors that smoothly transition from one to the next (look at A's coloring vs D's) the rusty red on the wings is a male trait as well. He also has pointed saddle feathers coming in, which only males have aside from on hen feathered breeds.

Back
Top Bottom