1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

at what age can you determine split wing? **PICS post #4**

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by The Lisser, Oct 26, 2010.

1. The Lisser

The Lisser Chillin' With My Peeps

Specifically, in silkies. I have a 2 month old chick that I suspect has split wing, but of course she is still feathering in.

Thanks for any help!

Melissa

Edited to change title

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  2. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    Quote:At two months old you should be able to see the split wing real well. I look for the split soon as the wing is about half feathered out.

3. The Lisser

Quote:At two months old you should be able to see the split wing real well. I look for the split soon as the wing is about half feathered out.

Thank you.

4. The Lisser

Here are some pics of the chick in question:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is this split wing?

Thanks!

5. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    Quote:Yes, looks to be split or slip wing. you could wait another couple of weeks to be sure. If you are having a problem with this you will need to ad some new blood. The fault will still be there but the new blood will cover the fault up.

6. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I bought a bird when she was two and a half month old-looking perfect. About a month and a half later, her wing feathers molted out and she seemed to grow them back split-wing style. [​IMG] She's 5 months old now. It was very unexpected.

That said, it looks like a split but I'd wait at least another month to see what happens. I've had some birds get into a funky stage were it looks like a split but is only the result of weird molting. If split-wing is the case, I wouldn't breed her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by