at what age can you determine split wing? **PICS post #4**

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by The Lisser, Oct 26, 2010.

1. The Lisser

The Lisser Songster

Specifically, in silkies. I have a 2 month old chick that I suspect has split wing, but of course she is still feathering in.

Thanks for any help!

Melissa

Edited to change title

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010

2. snowbird

snowbird Crowing

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    Quote:At two months old you should be able to see the split wing real well. I look for the split soon as the wing is about half feathered out.

3. The Lisser

The Lisser Songster

Quote:At two months old you should be able to see the split wing real well. I look for the split soon as the wing is about half feathered out.

Thank you.

4. The Lisser

The Lisser Songster

Here are some pics of the chick in question:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is this split wing?

Thanks!

5. snowbird

snowbird Crowing

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    Quote:Yes, looks to be split or slip wing. you could wait another couple of weeks to be sure. If you are having a problem with this you will need to ad some new blood. The fault will still be there but the new blood will cover the fault up.

6. I bought a bird when she was two and a half month old-looking perfect. About a month and a half later, her wing feathers molted out and she seemed to grow them back split-wing style. [​IMG] She's 5 months old now. It was very unexpected.

That said, it looks like a split but I'd wait at least another month to see what happens. I've had some birds get into a funky stage were it looks like a split but is only the result of weird molting. If split-wing is the case, I wouldn't breed her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by