at what age did your marans start laying??

i got my first BC Maran egg this week, my flock of hens are 23 1/2 weeks old.
ya.gif

my cuckoo marans are from cackle hatchery hatched 6/15/2010
17 hours artiful light
layer crumbles
and free range on 3 arces
21 weeks and no eggs
i am very disapointed. they haven't started laying yet..........
will updated when they start

I have 3 cuckoo marans, hatched on 6/19. One of them started laying last week. The other two have not started yet. The eggs I'm getting are pretty small, a medium -darkish brown, with speckles.

My FBM, Betty layed at 20 weeks. The shell isn't chocolate and that was a little disappointing. I'ts kind of medium brown. The egg is small but perfectly formed with a nice hard shell. She's a rock star and has been laying everyday.
cool.png

Our blue FCM hatched June 15 and presented her first egg today. Unfortunately, after she spendt all day in the nest trying to deliver her egg, it dropped out and broke while she was on the ramp up to the other coop. Dark brown shell. We shall see how dark hers get when she figures out the entire process.
We kept one blue roo out of the 6 blue/blacks we had. We have only 3 hens- 1 blue, 2 black- so it's a limited pool to select for breeding, but we have hopes:)

One blue Marans pullet layed her first egg, which was normal sized and gloriously dark/speckled, at 28 weeks old and then two sister Marans pullets from a separate breeder layed their first eggs at 30 weeks (also super dark, though not speckled and normal size). 28 weeks is the longest I have ever waited for an egg, let alone 30 weeks! Once they began, each one gave me four eggs a week for three weeks and then the temperatures plummeted about two weeks ago to subzero and no eggs out of the Marans since. It was, apparently, just a tester on their part. Now that I know how stunning those eggs can be, I can't stand not getting them anymore!

well got the calender out and counted totally disappointted 24 weeks and counting .
no eggs this is the longest i have ever waited for eggs out of the breeds i have ever owned.
these are my first marans i may go back to barred rocks next year. still waiting............

I bought 5 Blue French Marans pullets from a local breeder who told me they were 5 months old and should be laying any time. That was almost 3 months ago and still haven't seen one egg. I read a link from OSU extension concerning egg production and using a light to increase the production but I'm concerned about that being too hard on them. Hopefully I'll have something soon but since it's cooling down (below freezing at night) and 60's during the day and shorter daylight hours, I guess I may not get anything until sometime early next year. I'm very anxious for them to start laying because I have two beautiful Blue French Marans roosters and a beautiful Black Copper French Marans rooster that I will be using to breed and raise a flock. Anyone have an opinion on using light to increase production?

Back
Top Bottom