at what age did your marans start laying??

My BCM pullet laid her first egg today,she was hatched on may 1st,,six months and 3 days old for first egg,the marans seem to take a bit longer,at least that is what i have read on here.I hatched out 4 under a broody hen i had,got 3 roosters and 1 hen,kept 1 rooster,gave the other 2 away to good homes?,pressure is going to be on her to produce some new chicks,had to buy the eggs from a hatcher to get them,hoping to have my own this time?.They are very good to keep,very tame and not agressive at all. Harvey

congrats!

my pullet is 2 weeks older, I do hope she will start laying soon. good luck with hatching!

My little Pharaoh, a BCM pullet, just laid her first egg today at 26- almost 27 weeks. :) It is early December and we don't use supplemental lighting but it has been unseasonably warm here in New England. Here is a video of her doing it! :https://youtu.be/v9PBpQJFNCU

She hatched on June 3, 2015.

Well so much for some nice dark eggs?,my only BCM has decided she wants to be a mother,yes she has gone broody at 7 months old,seems young to me?.it is getting to cold here to let her hatch out a brood,I dont have any of her eggs anyway.Has anyone else ever had one go broody like that,she only laid about 18 eggs since she started to lay.Also anyone know a good way to break them from it,i have a little bantam mix that is in the same mind frame too. Harvey

My CM went broody at 5 months. I gave her eggs to hatch and got 7 healthy chicks, but that was in August last year.
Not sure how it would go this time of year.
You MAY be able to break her by removing her (and the eggs) from the nest every time you see her there.
At night, try putting her back on the roost with the others.

My marans are 27 weeks old. Still no eggs. Getting anxious. I'm hoping my Orpingtons will rub off on them to start laying.

it is still cold. my marans pullet was 8 months old when she started to lay. but she lays 4-5 eggs per week so it was worth waiting.

My black copper maran hens finally laid their first eggs today. Just a week shy of 7 months old. Not as dark as I hoped but I'm excited anyway.

We have three Black Copper Marans, and we recorded each of their first-egg dates -- surprisingly, it wasn't what many internet searches were saying! We blogged it all here, in detail, in case it helps a bit. :) (Link below, too.)

https://oakabode.com/what-age-do-black-copper-marans-start-laying/

DSC_2606.jpg

Back
Top Bottom