at what age did your marans start laying??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by spish, Nov 10, 2010.

1. chickengr

chickengr Free Ranging

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    congrats!

my pullet is 2 weeks older, I do hope she will start laying soon. good luck with hatching!

2. wildcrafted

wildcrafted In the Brooder

Mar 1, 2014
    [​IMG]

My little Pharaoh, a BCM pullet, just laid her first egg today at 26- almost 27 weeks. :) It is early December and we don't use supplemental lighting but it has been unseasonably warm here in New England. Here is a video of her doing it! :https://youtu.be/v9PBpQJFNCU

She hatched on June 3, 2015.

[​IMG]

3. 37 Caddy

37 Caddy Chirping

Oct 3, 2014
    Well so much for some nice dark eggs?,my only BCM has decided she wants to be a mother,yes she has gone broody at 7 months old,seems young to me?.it is getting to cold here to let her hatch out a brood,I dont have any of her eggs anyway.Has anyone else ever had one go broody like that,she only laid about 18 eggs since she started to lay.Also anyone know a good way to break them from it,i have a little bantam mix that is in the same mind frame too. Harvey

4. WVDoug

WVDoug Songster

Mar 3, 2014
    Northern WV
    My CM went broody at 5 months. I gave her eggs to hatch and got 7 healthy chicks, but that was in August last year.
    Not sure how it would go this time of year.
    You MAY be able to break her by removing her (and the eggs) from the nest every time you see her there.
    At night, try putting her back on the roost with the others.

5. Gilmore768

Gilmore768 Chirping

Oct 12, 2014
    Troy, MO
    My marans are 27 weeks old. Still no eggs. Getting anxious. I'm hoping my Orpingtons will rub off on them to start laying.

1 person likes this.
  6. chickengr

chickengr Free Ranging

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    it is still cold. my marans pullet was 8 months old when she started to lay. but she lays 4-5 eggs per week so it was worth waiting.

7. Gilmore768

Gilmore768 Chirping

Oct 12, 2014
    Troy, MO
    [​IMG]
    My black copper maran hens finally laid their first eggs today. Just a week shy of 7 months old. Not as dark as I hoped but I'm excited anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: