at what age did your marans start laying??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by spish, Nov 10, 2010.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    2 months ago i bought 5 gold cuckoo marans - 2 roo's 3 hens... sadly one roo died shortly after but the others have grown and flourished since. now they were 4 or 5 months old when i got them, so they'll be 6 or 7 months now...and as of yet not a single egg [​IMG](

but.........today i found a teeny tiny dark brown and slightly freckled fart egg in the nest box...could ones egg making factory be starting up at last?
    could they lay a fart egg as a first egg? or is it likely they wont lay until spring..after the dark nights get shorter?

2. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    My FBCM started laying at around 6 and a half months. Mine never went through that ahhhh "fart egg" stage, so I really can't comment on that. Maybe some others can give you some more insight into that issue.

3. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    oh i do hope they will be starting soon [​IMG]
    just baffeled now over this tiny egg!

4. midd2005

midd2005 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Oahu
    from what i've read on here, it sounds like it's super common for their eggs to start out small or oddly shaped or even without a proper shell. the eggs should steadily improve if the hens are happy and are on the proper diet.

5. gallusdomesticus

gallusdomesticus Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Lynn Haven, FL
    My cuckoo marans started at 25 weeks with small eggs. They ramped up to laying full size eggs in about a month.

JacquelineJ likes this.
  6. Jessiewoodard57

Jessiewoodard57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Bushnell, FL.
    6 months old and I got my first egg

7. pouletdile

pouletdile Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2010
    mine was 20 weeks. Our family ordered a lot of different kinds from McMurray's this spring. They were- Polish, Buffs, barred & white rocks, 4 marins (3 of which were roos), Easter Egg & Australorps. Clearly I knew it was the marin's egg from the color. She was the only one laying for about 10 days then others slowlly started! I'm very impressed by this breed, however, the roos were nasty and the one that we have kept is especially mean and chases people (he doesn't bother me though except to ruffle his feathers when I come near him). I think we'll let her hatch some chicks then get rid of him. Love, love, love the chocolate eggs!

8. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    My pullets are just now starting to lay and they're roughly 5 months.

9. turkeymom

turkeymom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2010
    SE Tennessee
    Aagh, my cuckoo maran didn't start laying till 30 weeks! But, her eggs are pretty big, and beautifully speckled, and she lays at least 6 eggs a week. So, just be patient - good things come to those who wait [​IMG]

10. shortstaque

shortstaque Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Bucks County, PA
    My hatchery Cuckoo Marans started laying at 24 weeks. [​IMG]

Maybe the longer your pullet waits, the more nice, dark pigment she will have saved up for a beautiful dark copper egg [​IMG]

ETA: Here's a pic of my first Marans egg (front).
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by