At what age do Black Australorps begin to lay their first eggs???

Pics

TwoCrows

🌻🐦🌻
BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Mar 21, 2011
New Mexico
My Aussie girls are 17 weeks old tomorrow. They are just now beginning to get their combs and wattles in and a couple of the girls are beginning to get red in the combs and wattles just a bit. I am going thru 50 pounds of chick starter a month and I am down to my last bag. So I am not sure if I need another bag.

So my question is, at what week should I start to see some eggs?

Thanks...Leyla
smile.png

Nice looking birds and that stump they are on is a great idea. I have such a small yard that I can't build a big coop so I have one of those chicken arks that I move around the yard, but I do let them run around in the evening. I might have to find an old stump like that. My buff orpington has huge comb and waddles that are getting bright red, I think my black australorp is just a little behind yours.

Thanks for all the great replies! Yes, they do love to climb around on that burly log. I see them up there every evening. There is also an old wooden ladder in the back that they like to perch on too.

Well, I will keep my eyes open for my first egg! I am so excited already and I am sure I will burst with joy when I eventually find it!

Thanks all....Leyla

My Australorp just turned 14 weeks and her comb and wattle is already getting reddish - more so than my other 5 hens who are the same age. I think she will be my first to lay. I'll have to see if I can find a picture. It's so exciting. I can't wait to get my first eggs!

Back
Top Bottom