At what age do chicks no longer need a light at night?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jloftin60, Dec 13, 2008.

1. jloftin60

jloftin60 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2008
    DeRidder, LA
    I have found a ceramic heat bulb that puts out heat, but no light.
    Do I need to let the chicks (3 wks. old) get on schedule with the sun, or do I need to supplement some light at night?

John

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    They don't really ever need light at night, it's just the heat bulbs put out light and heat. I would use a regular heater if I had one. The lack of light is probably better for them, as too much light can cause pecking.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  3. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Using a red heat light will calm them and keep them from pecking one another.

4. The ceramic coil really works well. As long as they are in a place that has sunlight in the daytime. If not, you will need a light source during the day. The red heat lamps work at night, but they do soak up the meter reader. If i could find a 100 watt red (not colored) heat lamp, I would change out all my 250 lamps. I use the coils when the chicks are in the house. Then when they go to the nursery (outside port. building), they get the white lights.
    I have a quartz heater in the building and the temp. stay at about 60 degrees give or take 10 degrees. If you look at the table for a 5 week old chick you get.... 95,90,85,80, 75 for 5 weeks and the next week it is 70 degrees. So really 60 under a heat lamp is pretty good. I leave the lamps on for two weeks and then they are turned off. The quartz heater is always on and the port. building has a window. At 7-8 weeks a good temp is 60 degrees and the guineas are usually finding their voices by then. I can identify who the females are too. The chickens are fully feathered by then. I wait until the chickens get to about 3-4 pounds (standards) and then they go to the main barn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by